USB Headsets won't install - Razer Megalodon

Zorthos

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Hi, so I bought a Razer Megalodon yesterday. It comes with no drivers and expects to use Windows' Auto detect and install to work properly. The thing is, on my desktop it won't install. Every time it just says that the device driver failed to install.

So I tried the standard things that I found via an hour or two of searching. I've installed the new 2.12 firmware(it did that fine, it can detect it in firmware update mode >_>). I tried updating my chipset and USB drivers, (I have a Asus P8P67 Pro R3.1 P67 Mobo). That still did not work. I've tried USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports on the back and front of my PC, no dice.

So, what do I do next? I have no clue? I've checked the integrity of my Windows 7 64bit install and it still refuses to bloody install. I'll include an image of this incredibly intuitive error:

uL18e6k.png

I'd really appreciate some help, I'm sure I'm missing something...

*Just to clarify, it worked straight away on my Windows 7 laptop. Auto detected, installed but on this system it just refuses to.*

-> Fixed, I didn't check for windows updates. You can check a whole room for your keys, only to find that they were in your pocket all along.

This is a quickfix list for problems like this (From what I found)

-Try multiple USB Ports
-Check for windows updates
-Try a manual install
-Update the firmware for your product, if available
-If you have the oppurtunity to, see if another machine can detect and use the device
-Try a Linux live CD to see if it's your operating system or your driverset
-Try updating your chipset Drivers
-Try updating your USB operator drivers
-Make sure you not only have sufficient power, but that your USB hubs aren't being powered down to power save via Windows.

The second machine test will be crucial if all else fails, because who knows, it could be the device all along!

Hope this helps anyone in future.

Solution
Cutting aside all the bullshit, this is a quickfix list for problems like this (From what I found)

-Try multiple USB Ports
-Try a manual install
-If you have the oppurtunity to, see if another machine can detect and use the device
-Make sure you not only have sufficient power, but that your USB hubs aren't being powered down to power save via Windows.

The second machine test will be crucial if all else fails, because who knows, it could be the device all along!

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Test it on a different computer see if you get the same issue. This headset seems to give a lot of people trouble (google it, you'll see many posts about it with no solutions). If it works on a different computer, then its the computer (for reasons unknown). If it doesn't its the headset.

How olds your computer? Could also be a power draw issue with usb ports, I know some older motherboards tend to have that issue.

Zorthos

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
2 years old computer, and as it says at the bottom of the post. it works fine on my new laptop, just not on my desktop.

I know I have surplus power and my motherboard's name is in the OP :)

nukemnet77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
I have had the same problem with Logitech and Plantronics headsets this week. I thought it was a bad Logitech headset firmware or something until the Plantronics did the same thing. I've done the same exact troubleshooting you have done with no results. Plantronics and Logitech both say since the device works on my XP laptop, that it is not the headset. My mobo is a 2 year old MSI x58m with all the latest drivers and firmware. Windows update is fully updated. I just installed all the optional updates hoping one of them would work - nope. I suspect whatever is causing your issue is causing mine and would greatly appreciate a solution as well.

Zorthos

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Probably should reply to this:

How I fixed it was installing around 100 windows updates I'd ignored. One of those must've included driver updates or the way the system works.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
When you plug the device in, does it show up in Device Manager'?

If it does, right-click on it and select 'update driver'.

Select 'Browse my computer'.

Select 'Choose device from a list'.

Now pick the best driver from there.

Does that get you anywhere?

nukemnet77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
Please read the posts before offering basic level-1 solutions.
Yes, I did ALL the solutions that are found EVERYWHERE on the web. I said I had done everything the OP did. Even flashed my BIOS. But I tried one more since my post (not mentioned anywhere on any forum) and it worked! I rolled back my Windows Updates to about 3 weeks ago and it works. I'll do some surgical updates and identify which is the update killing the driver. I didn't think of this because I just bought the headsets so I wouldn't have known that they would have worked 3 weeks ago.

My apologies for hijacking, but coming back with a solution I think its worth it.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I could say the same thing to you.

Where in this thread has an attempt to manually update the drivers in this manner been either reported or suggested?

Did you even try that? Or even think of it?

Also, it appears that the OP, the person who started this thread, has solved his problem by doing precisely the opposite of what you suggest and therefore, if you had read all the posts, you would have realised that your post was redundant in its entirety.

People with glass houses and all that.

Anyway, well done you. If I ever have the same problem, I will know that updating Windows and un-updating windows are two possible solutions.

Zorthos

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Other people with the same problem found fixes in the forms of Chipset Driver Updates, USB 3.0 Port Handler Updates, Checking the integrity of their windows 7 install.

Also, something which led me to the whole "Let's just try and update windows" was a Linux Live CD. Worked perfectly when I used a Live CD, meaning my Windows 7 was borked.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Yes, I have noticed a disturbing pattern of behaviour since Windows 8 was rolled out. Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 decided that Pinnacle should no longer have access to my webcam too.

Obviously, I need to buy a new machine now.

Out of interest, did you try to manually install the driver through the hardware manager? Did it fail?

nukemnet77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013

Well let's see.. OP's post "So I tried the standard things that I found via an hour or two of searching...." What would you consider standard? Because updating the drivers would be #1 for me - especially when the computer pretty much tells you when it says "the device driver failed to install."

Now lets assume he might be a novice. "I've installed the new 2.12 firmware(it did that fine, it can detect it in firmware update mode >_>). I tried updating my chipset and USB drivers, (I have a Asus P8P67 Pro R3.1 P67 Mobo)"

Doesn't sound like a novice to me. So.... I ASSUMED (rightfully-so) that he already tried updating the drivers.

What's your point about mine and his opposite solutions? You say it like mine is invalid or something, even though his solution was a response to mine (and are BOTH valid).. Anywho, now we have 2 solutions. If his doesn't work for someone (as it didn't for me), they can try mine. Much better than reading in EVERY forum over and over to update the drivers. Thanks for the help but we figured ours out. Hope it will help someone else. If not the can always try to update the drivers.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I see. You want this site to be a repository of all the solutions that cannot be found on the internet.

Well, that's a big ask.

Fact is dude, it is better not to assume anything about the poster and indeed, the cleverer one is, the more elementary his mistakes seem to be.

So thank you for your insight but as a technician, the first thing I will check is the fuse.

And regardless to whether the customer tells me he has checked it or not.

How many times have you waited for the kettle to boil only to realise you haven't switched it on yet?

Yes, sometimes clever people make elementary mistakes and as an assistant in trouble-shooting, it is my responsibility to be methodical.

And anyway, how am I supposed to know what isn't on the internet? :sarcastic:

Zorthos

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Cutting aside all the bullshit, this is a quickfix list for problems like this (From what I found)

-Try multiple USB Ports
-Try a manual install

Solution

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

You forgot to mention un-updating.

However, I think it fitting.......

DriverPally

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I don't know if it was an absolute fluke or what. I went into power settings and did the 'high performance' setting and it immediately worked. I only see a single USB toggle inside the power settings but who cares. Obviously something in there is tweaking it.

I'll keep updating this thread if I learn anything else. Stupid Plantronics POS that doesn't have manual drivers. It sucks because aside from the drivers this's by far the best headset I've ever owned.

After a lot more work I've only had minor issues (down from major issues) from unplugging (not uninstalling) my other usb sound devices. I hate that solution and it isn't perfect, but at least I can work through the minor stuff. (sound/recording randomly cutting out) Better than no sound / no recording.

Jaime Calle

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
i had the exact same problem.

The way i solved it was i brought home a USB hub i bought for 7 bucks on amazon and connected them through the hub.

I have no idea why it works, but it works!!