[SOLVED] USB Hub & HDD connect and disconnect continuously?

Pee wee

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Hi friends!

How’s everything? I hope you are all well...

Pls, I have a computer with two 3.0 cables (3 m. long) and a "USB 3.0 Hub" powered by 5V (volts) and 3A (amps). The problem is that when I plug in the HUB and connect a USB hard drive to it, it starts to connect and disconnect continuously. A headache. I tried connecting a simple pendrive and it works fine, but of course, a pendrive uses a very small amount of power.

Could the cable be a problem? Any idea?

I would appreciate any help.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Lutfij

Titan
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Can you pass a link to the hub that you're working with? Are you referring to an HDD dock as a USB hub? If so, then parse a link to the USB driven HDD dock.

You might want to make sure you're on the latest chipset drivers as well.

Reactions: Pee wee

Pee wee

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
First of all, many thanks for replying @Lutfij.

It is simply a "USB Hub" (3.0) and a "portable hard drive" (USB 3.0). The problem presents itself when I connect the "USB hard drive" to the "USB Hub". So, the USB hard drive is continuously switched connect and disconnect in windows 10. Pls see the picture:

USB Hard drive 3.0

USB Hub 3.0

Many thanks in advance!

Pee wee

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
It works perfectly with its original cable (0.5 meters) connected directly to the PC. It also works with this cable. I'm surprised it doesn't work with the HUB and the 3 meter cable. I think the problem is the length of the cable. A short cable is faster and a long one is slower. It's very curious and something I didn't know until now.

https://i.ibb.co/p6DfKJv/USB-3.jpg

SOLVED.

Pee wee

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Please post how you solved the problem as it may help others who land on this thread when searching.

I didn't do anything @Phillip Corcoran. I simply I have realised that the cable was very long and any electronic signal is attenuated by the distance between the emitter and the receiver. Besides an external hard disk requires voltage because it consumes transfer bandwidth. So I have only dispensed with the USB Hub.

Kind regards.