Question USB issues in POST / BIOS

Gibbyness

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
I all of a sudden can't get into BIOS with USB mouse/keyboard. I haven't changed anything in BIOS, and historically haven't had any problems. This seems to have started after I did a fresh windows install.

I tried other keyboards and other mice (all USB as I don't have a ps2 mouse or keyboard.)

I can force BIOs to boot from the advanced startup screen, but once in BIOS I can't move mouse.

I tried clearing CMOS with no results.

As soon as the post finishes, like immediately after, the keyboard and mouse initialize and light up and they work fine in windows.

any thoughts on what I could do to fix this?

I all of a sudden can't get into BIOS with USB mouse/keyboard. I haven't changed anything in BIOS, and historically haven't had any problems. This seems to have started after I did a fresh windows install.

I tried other keyboards and other mice (all USB as I don't have a ps2 mouse or keyboard.)

I can force BIOs to boot from the advanced startup screen, but once in BIOS I can't move mouse.

I tried clearing CMOS with no results.

As soon as the post finishes, like immediately after, the keyboard and mouse initialize and light up and they work fine in windows.

any thoughts on what I could do to fix this?
Does your bios have one of those features labelled Fast Boot or something like that? Your bios may have a feature that allows it to skip over checking the usb ports during bootup because its supposed to be faster. Something like that could be causing your problem.

Gibbyness

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
I can't recall one but I can't access bios at all to browse for an option. I know you look for fast boot or USB legacy. I can't figure out a way to get into it with a working controller like mouse or keyboard.

I suppose I could buy a ps2 input but I've seen people post online similar issues and ps2 didn't work. Hate to spend money for no reason if I can avoid it.

I can't recall one but I can't access bios at all to browse for an option. I know you look for fast boot or USB legacy. I can't figure out a way to get into it with a working controller like mouse or keyboard.

I suppose I could buy a ps2 input but I've seen people post online similar issues and ps2 didn't work. Hate to spend money for no reason if I can avoid it.
You could also try disconnecting all of your drives so that the computer has nowhere else to go when it boots and hopefully ends up in the bios with usb support.

If your windows are working you can access BIOS/UEFI from windows
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10