[SOLVED] USB issues

soundguy585

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2013
Hello, I have annoying problems with my usb on my MSI B450-A Pro AMD motherboard. It has been a problem for a while now. It may be a motherboard defect. My keyboard and mouse work fine, but usb sd card readers, usb flash drives have intermittent issues. My sd card readers most of the time are not recognized. Once in awhile my flash drives stop working and not recognized by Windows. It appears to not be a problem with the operating system or drivers. It happens on all three of my Windows OS's in a multi boot Windows system. The drives work fine on other Pc's.In device manager I receive an error message when attempting to use the card readers,

"Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47 )t o fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.

I ran SFC and uninstalled the drivers a few times.The board uses M.S. 3.0, 3.1 drivers and I tried to update the drivers in device manager and said the best drivers were already installed.
As a side note, I was using a 3.0 usb hub and the ports onboard. Same outcome. I'm getting frustrated with this, so if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Solution
Hello, I have annoying problems with my usb on my MSI B450-A Pro AMD motherboard. It has been a problem for a while now. It may be a motherboard defect. My keyboard and mouse work fine, but usb sd card readers, usb flash drives have intermittent issues. My sd card readers most of the time are not recognized. Once in awhile my flash drives stop working and not recognized by Windows. It appears to not be a problem with the operating system or drivers. It happens on all three of my Windows OS's in a multi boot Windows system. The drives work fine on other Pc's.In device manager I receive an error message when attempting to use the card readers,

"Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for...

"Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47 )t o fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.

I ran SFC and uninstalled the drivers a few times.The board uses M.S. 3.0, 3.1 drivers and I tried to update the drivers in device manager and said the best drivers were already installed.
As a side note, I was using a 3.0 usb hub and the ports onboard. Same outcome. I'm getting frustrated with this, so if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be following the threads on your cpu, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot, save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios, then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled), do not enable XMP yet, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.03.xx), then reboot and make sure after reboot power plan is set to amd ryzen balanced, if you use ryzen 4000/3000 series and below (sometimes it does not appear on ryzen 1000 and 200).

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.
  • Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

Last edited:
Solution

soundguy585

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2013
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be following the threads on your cpu, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot, save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios, then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled), do not enable XMP yet, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.03.xx), then reboot and make sure after reboot power plan is set to amd ryzen balanced, if you use ryzen 4000/3000 series and below (sometimes it does not appear on ryzen 1000 and 200).

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.
  • Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow
Thank you so much for taking the time to map out all the steps. In a nutshell, what exactly is the root cause in your opinion? I have 4 windows O.S.'s in my multi-boot system. I have 1xW7, 3 xW10's. The problem exists on all 4. So if I can streamline the process, that would help.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you so much for taking the time to map out all the steps. In a nutshell, what exactly is the root cause in your opinion? I have 4 windows O.S.'s in my multi-boot system. I have 1xW7, 3 xW10's. The problem exists on all 4. So if I can streamline the process, that would help.
  1. Multiple OS's would have been nice to know earlier.
  2. His steps refer to fixing a GPU issue, not a USB issue.