Question USB just died for no reason, desperately need help

Mar 25, 2021
So, I have a problem. I tried plugging a new internal hard drive into my computer's SATA ports. Now, for some inexplicable reason, none of my USB ports work. This is a huge problem, because my mouse needs USB to work and I can only use my keyboard.

What I've tried that did nothing:
-Rebooting
-Different USB ports
-Uninstalling every USB device on the computer and rebooting (Windows says the drivers are fine anyways)
-Restore points (have none)
-Refreshing the whole computer (it gets stuck because it then can't see the flash drive it's installing from)
-Disabling the power saving features
-Detecting hardware changes
-Different mouse
-Checking for damaged ports (they were perfectly fine earlier today)
-Installing the motherboards' chipset software
-Every common fix for this problem that existed on the Internet or Microsoft tech support could think of

None of the above helped.

Specs:
-ASRock B550 Pro 4 motherboard
-AMD Ryzen 5 3600
-GTX 1660 Super
-A power supply well in excess of 700 watts
-16GB of DDR4 3200 RAM
-500GB NVME SSD (boot drive), 1TB Seagate 7200RPM mechanical hard drive
-Windows 10 64 bit

Mar 25, 2021
You know how it is.. difficult to say anything without actual access to the hardware, but unfortunately it seems that you may have inadvertently shorted or fried something on the mobo. Did you use electrostatic bracelet or at least touched ground before you touched the motherboard to plug in the drive?
One idea.. BIOS nowadays can make use of USB devices. Did you try using your mouse from within the BIOS? And also.. did you try it with all hardware that is not necessary disconnected?

TRENDING THREADS