Usb keyboard and mouse do not work on win7 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisbek

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Ok here is the problem I am having.

I'm trying to install Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Edition on new SSD.

I'm using a USB keyboard and USB mouse.

I turn on the computer and the keyboard works. I can enter the bios and use the mouse as well in the bios GUI.

I set the computer to boot off the cd-drive. Open the cd-drive. Place Windows 7 inside and restart the system.

Now the system boots off the cd and Windows 7 installer disk does its thing.

Eventually I reach the page where it reads "Install Now"

I go to move the mouse. The mouse doesn't work. I try the keyboard. The keyboard doesn't work.

To resolve the issue I had to power down the system, unplug the usb keyboard and use an old PS2 keyboard just to get the keyboard to work and install Windows 7.

My question is what was the problem and if it occurs next time how do I resolve this issue.

Here are the specs of the system that was build if that helps:

CPU: Intel i5-3570K

MOBO:Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

RAM: Patriot Viper 3 (2X4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 9-9-9-27 1.5V) Dual Channel Memory Kit

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition 860MHZ 2GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI 2XDP PCI-E

PSU:XFX 550W PRO550W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 44A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze Certified

HSF:Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA1155 LGA1156 120mm

CASE:Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Mid Tower Window Case Black (2X5.25) (1X3.5) (8X3.5 INT) 2X2.5 SSD

R/W CD/DVD Drive: Generic

SSD: Cruical M4

My question is what was the problem and if it occurs next time how do I resolve this issue.

My USB input devices don't even work to get me into the BIOS, let alone install Windows.
How glad I am I kept my PS/2 keyboard! Now I keep PS/2 KB connected all the time, have put USB KB away.
Moreover, I bought a new PS/2 KB and put that away just in case one packs up.

Next time your in BIOS Setup, you could try setting legacy USB support to "enabled", although that didn't work for me. Don't forget to "save to CMOS and exit" (F10) when you change any BIOS settings.

wiatt

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
sorry to dig up this old post. I am having this same issue. My mobo only has usb3.0....

the mobo i have is a asus z87-plus.

Unless im missing something in my bios or does that have nothing to do with the windows7 install.

Status
Not open for further replies.