Usb keyboard and usb mouse doesn't work

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
OS: win xp pro sp3. Problem: I was trying to transfer a fake usb stick to a regular. When i shut down the computer everything seemed ok. Next time i turned the computer on, the usb keyboard and mouse didn't work. The mobo has a ps2 keyboard port. And a ps2 keyboard still works connected to that port. Unfortunately the mobo has no ps2 mouse port, so i can't use a mouse. What can i do to make the usb mouse work or get the usb ports to work again? Thanks. Note: The bios usb settings seems to be ok.

Solution

Right - would help to know the keyboard shortcut. Once you've pressed Alt, Left-Shift and Num Lock to emulate the mouse (or you can just tab around), go to the items I mentioned and then to right click press Shift + F10. To left click you simply press Enter. Try to rollback the drivers. Or if you have the motherboard CD, go with treefrog's suggestion.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
What do you mean you were "trying to transfer a fake usb stick to a regular?"

What BIOS settings did you check and what are their values now?

Unplug all USB devices except for the mouse. Open Device Manager. Look for your mouse under "Mice and other pointing devices". Does it have a warning symbol next to it? You could try scanning for hardware changes, or uninstall and reboot. You may need to reinstall the driver.

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
1. did you verify the mouse still works on another system?
2. what is a fake usb stick? is that reference to a generic driver? If so you should have left that alone!
3. try re-boot one more time without the mouse plugged in, then when you get to the desktop plug the mouse in. Windows should re-install the generic driver...reboot.
4. is this an add on card usb port? if so it may need replaced (should be plug n play!)

I hope this helped

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

All hardware has been tested and works. The computer doesn't recognize any kind of usb device.

Fake usb memory stick: Go to this link: http://thecoolthings.com/2008/07/17/fake-usb-sticks-how-to-spot-them-and-how-to-repair-them/

To repair the fake usb memory stick, i downloaded some usb tools.
These may have been infected, corrupt or used in a wrong way by me.
My antivirus software found nothing.

I found this solution: Press 'alt' and 'left shift' and 'numlock' at the same time.
By that i am now able to control the cursor via windows xp keyboard mouse.
Windows xp runs as such, but no usb port works. All usb ports are onboard mobo ports.

I then tried 'win xp restore system to a previous state' feature, with 2 different dates back in time.
That didn't work. Maybe because i'm using truecrypt full system hard drive encryption pre boot feature.

I have checked the win xp device manager.
Under usb - controllers i see this:

standard enhanced pci to usb host controller
standard openHCD usb-hostcontroller

To the left they are all marked with an yellow exclamation mark.
So clearly they are out of order.

What now?
This is things i now nothing about, so if you have some pieces of advice please give a step by
step guide.
Currently i have no internet connection on the computer because i use a usb wlan.
If i get a step by step guide that requires internet, i can move the computer close to the router and try to connect via cable.

Thank you for your effort.

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

All hardware has been tested and works. The computer doesn't recognize any kind of usb device.

Fake usb memory stick: Go to this link: http://thecoolthings.com/2008/07/17/fake-usb-sticks-how-to-spot-them-and-how-to-repair-them/

To repair the fake usb memory stick, i downloaded some usb tools.
These may have been infected, corrupt or used in a wrong way by me.
My antivirus software found nothing.

I found this solution: Press 'alt' and 'left shift' and 'numlock' at the same time.
By that i am now able to control the cursor via windows xp keyboard mouse.
Windows xp runs as such, but no usb port works. All usb ports are onboard mobo ports.

I then tried 'win xp restore system to a previous state' feature, with 2 different dates back in time.
That didn't work. Maybe because i'm using truecrypt full system hard drive encryption pre boot feature.

I have checked the win xp device manager.
Under usb - controllers i see this:

To the left they are all marked with an yellow exclamation mark.
So clearly they are out of order.

What now?
This is things i now nothing about, so if you have some pieces of advice please give a step by
step guide.
Currently i have no internet connection on the computer because i use a usb wlan.
If i get a step by step guide that requires internet, i can move the computer close to the router and try to connect via cable.

Thank you for your effort.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
In Device Manager, right click on Universal Serial Bus controllers and choose "scan for hardware changes"

If that doesn't do anything, right click on one of the "standard enhanced pci to usb host controller" that shows the yellow exclamation mark, and choose properties. On the General tab, what does it say in Device status? Now go to the Driver tab. Click Rollback Driver.

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

That is funny... right click, with what? his mouse doesnt work!!!

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

Right - would help to know the keyboard shortcut. Once you've pressed Alt, Left-Shift and Num Lock to emulate the mouse (or you can just tab around), go to the items I mentioned and then to right click press Shift + F10. To left click you simply press Enter. Try to rollback the drivers. Or if you have the motherboard CD, go with treefrog's suggestion.

Solution

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

Now that is good advice..lol

celesteb

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
:??: I have similar issue to yours except I am attempting to replace the power source and power cord to hp6300 computer and all usbs are locked making the keyboard and mouse not usable. I am looking for scematic for power supply hook up. I have tried archive.org and scribed.com. help