USB keyboard not recognized on all ports - How to fix without reinstalling Windows 10

omareg94

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
When I connect my USB keyboard, the keyboard isn't recognised (on all ports). (screenshot)
Most probably this is due to some recent Windows 10 Update (There was a previously reported issue for KB4074588 update that causes permission denied on port mapping).

My USB keyboard is fully functional as it's working with no problems on other computers. Also I tried, on my computer, different USB keyboards and they aren't working (except one old keyboard) and some USB mouses (except one old mouse) are the same not working.

My computer (Notebook) having the issue is HP EliteBook 8440p.
My current OS version is Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit 17134.556.

I've tried these solution suggestions (none works):

• ■ Uninstalled all USB keyboard related drivers and restarted computer many times. (screenshot)
    ■ Made sure that drivers files on both my computer and other computers (where USB keyboards work normally) are identical.

• All files of input.inf_amd64_d6b10f5fa055a5cd and keyboard.inf_amd64_e085085e52ff47cf folders in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository are identical.
    ■ Tried to update drivers from device manager manually using input.inf_amd64_d6b10f5fa055a5cd and keyboard.inf_amd64_e085085e52ff47cf folders grabbed from other computers (where USB keyboards work normally). But I get The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device.... (screenshot)
    ■ Tried reinstalling all official drivers for my computer. I have the latest version of Chipset driver is installed. (screenshot)
    ■ Disabled all Power Management on all USB hubs and input devices. I have made sure that USB selective suspend setting is Disabled both On battery and Plugged in. And that Power management is disabled (by unticking the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power) on all related devices (USB Hubs and USB input devices). (screenshot)
    ■ System Restore. Unfortunately I don't have a System Restore image for my OS before the issue.
    ■ Uninstalling recent OS updates. I have uninstalled all recent OS updates that I can uninstall and the issue still exists.
    ■ Updating to the most recent updates.
I need to solve this issue without reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows 10.

Is there a bios update for your laptop that might address the issue.

The best drivers are likely to be the ones for your laptop directly from HP.

And... resolve to set up for system restore and take a user checkpoint before any windows updates in the future.