USB malfunctioned Error

May 1, 2018
Sometimes when plugging my USB drive in its port i get the error "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.", most online threads state that it is a windows 10 and 8 problem, and the best solution is to uninstall the usb driver and reboot the PC. I have a question about the integrity of the data, do files (ZIP, RAR, ISO,...) get corrupted by that action since the data is electrically stored and some bits may flip. Sorry if it sounds stupid, but in class all we study is about errors and bits that flip. Thanks

Solution
If it only happens to this one device, and happens in every usb port occasionally I would suspect your drive is on its way out rather than a driver issue. Not being recognized by windows should not affect any of your data. Its always a good idea to use the eject disk option in your task bar when removing usb drives that you don't want corrupted.

BC_Homegrown

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
If it only happens to this one device, and happens in every usb port occasionally I would suspect your drive is on its way out rather than a driver issue. Not being recognized by windows should not affect any of your data. Its always a good idea to use the eject disk option in your task bar when removing usb drives that you don't want corrupted.

Solution
May 1, 2018

I suspected that the usb's life is finished, and I always use safe remove, but does the drive getting an interrupted pulse of electricity safe for the data, I would like that the "should" be a 100%, I do not like finding myself having to re-download all of that on a metered connection.