USB Mass Storage device not working

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I recently purchased an external dvd writer. I plug it
into my usb port and I get a little popup in xp saying
mass storage device detected then a blue screen pops up
saying a serious error has occured. Before I can read the
whole message my computer restarts. Tried 2 different DVD
writers and got the same thing. Anybody know what I can
do to get it working?

kawipoo

It sounds like you need to install the appropriate USB driver for windows.
If you have try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver again.
"Sean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently purchased an external dvd writer. I plug it
> into my usb port and I get a little popup in xp saying
> mass storage device detected then a blue screen pops up
> saying a serious error has occured. Before I can read the
> whole message my computer restarts. Tried 2 different DVD
> writers and got the same thing. Anybody know what I can
> do to get it working?

The drive didn't come with any xp drivers because
it "automatically detects" it xp. Should I uninstall and
reinstall my USB port drivers? If so, do you know how to
do that? Thanks!

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:50:15 -0700, "Sean"

>I recently purchased an external dvd writer. I plug it
>into my usb port and I get a little popup in xp saying
>mass storage device detected then a blue screen pops up
>saying a serious error has occured. Before I can read the
>whole message my computer restarts. Tried 2 different DVD
>writers and got the same thing. Anybody know what I can
>do to get it working?
control panel...Advanced..Startup and Recovery..Uncheck automatically
reboot. To get the whole error message.
-- KenW

To uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers go to Device Manager and delete
all entries under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, then reboot. The USB
drivers will then be reinstalled by WinXP.