Usb mass storage device

AlxRsstr

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Hey guys and girls!

I'm currently running windows 8.1 64 bit and I've been trying to read an old usb mass storage device, I know theres a lot of issues with driver support and whatever else but my problem is that although it was detected earlier, I have since unplugged the usb and after plugging it back in its not detected at all! Nothing in windows exlorer or the disk manager. I've restarted a couple of times too. I was wondering if i can do some sort of refresh so that it might be detected again.

Cheers!

AlxRsstr

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Yep tried four different USB 2.0 on my computer. Plus another two on my old system running windows 7 64 bit. The device is an Emtec c250 16gb. By the looks of if the driver support is for 98/se though it has previously worked on 7.

mibix19

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
A little-known tool in Windows, Disk Management can be your friend whenever you have drive problems.

Launch it by searching for Disk Management in the Start menu (or Windows 8 Start screen) and clicking on the ‘Create and format hard disk partitions’ result. Alternatively, hit Windows key and R together and enter diskmgmt.msc into the box, then press Enter.A list of drives will appear. You should be able to identify your USB drive by its capacity, or the fact it’s labelled as ‘Removable’. Some USB hard drives may not be shown as removable, however.

If you can see your drive here, but not in Windows Explorer, there are a couple of things to do. First, check the partition status. If it isn’t showing as Healthy, along with a drive letter, this explains why you can’t see the files.

You can try using a free tool such as TestDisk to fix the partition table. If it works, you should regain access to the drive and files.

If not, try PhotoRec which looks at the data on the drive even if the partitions are corrupt.

If you can see that the drive is unallocated space, it means the partitions have been deleted. File recovery software might be able to help claw back deleted files. Finally, if a USB drive isn’t recognised by any computer and doesn’t show up in Disk Management, there’s a high chance it has failed and – unfortunately – will need to be replaced

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Windows Legacy 12

ASK THE COMMUNITY