USB Mass Storage error code 38

Apr 30, 2018
I have had a DEL XPS15 laptop for ages (5.2 years) without this issue showing at all. Recently 2-5 months ago, it appeared from time to time ; now it shows up almost every time.

- From time to time, I use an external disk drive (generally a version of a Western Digital My Passport, whether ultra or elements or whatever); also USB flash drives

- After use, the HDD is dismounted cleanly (these are my backups, I would not dare endangering them)

- when, after that, plugging the same or another HDD, more often than not, the USB device is not recognized (nothing showing as mounted, USBDeview showing purple dots for each device).

- Windows Troubleshooting points to the Code 38 error:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)
The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory.

It may be the case that the situation is fixed by itself after some time (some could be a couple of hours - no measurement there). It is definitively resolved by a reboot. Looking at other posts elsewhere, I tried to uninstall all USB drivers so that they are installed back on a per needs basis : this also works, but no more than just rebooting.

Of course, I checked the device driver. Windows tell me it is the latest version. (6.3.9600.18224, Microsoft Windows, 21/06/2006).

Some friends suggested the following:

- install drivers for the WD: (1) I could not find any (2) anyway, I get the issue with Flash drives
- repair Windows 8.1: (1) I do not have a CD, this is DELL (2) I would not want to restart from scratch a clean install (too much history to wipe everything)
- upgrade to Windows 10: I will do that when I get a new computer, and want to keep this one for a museum (half a joke)

I would be fine with a way to force the unloading (e.g., a script) the device driver from memory so that it can be reloaded with rebooting the computer.

G.

Apr 30, 2018

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I am running windows 8.1, and would prefer a solution that does not involve playing with other OS. Or do I miss something?

incorrector

Proper
Apr 29, 2018
i would suggest to run a ccleaner and optimize your registry a bit.
run a chkdsk /r aswell
and give some time to sfc /scannow
personally,i prefer a fresh install when i see similar issues with computer

Apr 30, 2018

Incorrecor, thanks again.

- chkdsk --> no significant error (the sole one was "Cleaning up 9 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 9 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 9 unused security descriptors."

- sfc /scannow--> no significant error. Thanks for the hint about this command, I learned something- if I understand well, this would give the list of windows components taht have been compromized.

- ccleaner : I run it now and then (once every two weeks). I did that again and played with HDDs until the error occurs. Running ccleaner again gives 0 (zero) error.

- Fresh install: I won't do that, as mentioned in my first post:- more than 100 programs to install and tune back after that, I prefer to suffer from a reboot from time to time.

G.