USB mic barely works

drneves7

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
So like the heading says I have a usb mic and it will not work on the 2 machines I built. I works on my laptop which is running vista 32. The mic will not run on my two machines running Vista 64. One machine is an intel the other is an AMD both running Gigabyte boards.

Basically I can get the mic to work but it is really really low. like a whisper. I have searched the web and this seems to be a very common problem with USB mics but I cannot seem to find a solution any where. Any help would be awesome. The most I can get from the mic when I configure it is maybe a quarter inch of a green line and that is with it held up to my mouth. I have all the latest drivers for windows and my sound card (well on board sound).

Please I hope you guys and gals can lend this very frustrated man a bit of help.

THanks Dominic

TonCharr28

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Hey Dominic, why not just get your plain old mic? Aside from the mysterious problem you've mentioned, USB mics also put strain on your CPU.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
sorry to say, it is very hard to find a good mic AND recording program. what are you using the mic for?

I went through many mic's trying to do a voice over and I settled with my first mic and different program (Audacity, free-- google it). Of course, if you are trying to use it for chat then this won't work.

Unfortunately, I've found it really difficult to adjust the gain within the windows control panel. (and i'm assuming you went through this already and clicked amplify mic)

Sonic also has good recording software if you are looking to buy something.

Hope this helps

drneves7

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Yea just trying to use it for chat while gaming. I basically planned on getting a regular mic but this seems like it is a common problem with Vista or maybe it is just 64 not sure. Found many many threads related to usb mics and headsets. I found no fixes other than the standard......did you set it up properly? is it set as your default and what not. I am going to take it as windows usb drivers are at fault here and what a surprise that would be. Probably only works good with a Microsoft Mic. :p

Thanks for the replies maybe there is a fix out there we will just have to see!