Mar 13, 2019
So i've made a lot of research and found out that i most likely have a grounding problem. Just bought a new mic (Tonic G33) and tested it on my Dell Laptop.
For about 10 mins of quality testing, it suddenly started having buzzing. I noticed that when i touch any metal part of the microphone, the buzzing goes completely quiet.

The only solution i found is using the laptop with its battery, that's when the microphone is crystal clear again. Even if i'm on battery, but have the charger plugged in, it creates the buzz. If i remove the battery and just use the charger, it still creates buzzing as well. I also tried it on my brother's laptop, apparently it didn't matter if his laptop was plugged in or not, it works fine on his. So i'm guessing my own laptop is fully grounded.

I would like to know if there's any way of removing the buzz without having the battery? One of the solutions i have found is using a USB Ground Loop Isolator/Eliminator, however i can't find any locally and online shops are quite expensive. Any other methods would be highly appreciated!

(These are some solutions i've tried but didn't work, it may help you guys understand my situation better)
  • Tried using different power sockets
  • Tried using an extender
  • Tried using a diff adapter for the charger
  • Tried using the different USB ports on the laptop

Sep 14, 2019
No! Your laptop is not faulty. It is a grounding issue. I am also going through the same issue.

USB Isolator did not solve my problem. I do not know whether you have tried it or not.

For temporary resolution, I purchased Steinberg Sound Card + XLR microphone. It cost me $300 for complete setup but I find USB Headset more convenient. It solved my issue.

TRENDING THREADS