usb mouse disconnects

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
so when I'm playing in game the severity of the disconnect increases. if I'm not running a game you might hardly notice it was even there at all. typically every 10 seconds the mouse will cut out for about 1-2 seconds however sometimes the frequency and intensity at which my mouse becomes unresponsive increases. i'm at my wits end here I've searched all over the forums and no solutions have helped me so far. the issue increases or decreases when i change out the USB ports to the different usb ports in the back of my PC. usb 2.0 is much worse and depending on which usb 3.0 port i use i can vary how often and intense the lapse of control occurs.

I've tried re-formatting and that doesn't help the issue. the cd that came with my MOBO has tons of extra drivers and software that i'm sure i don't need im not sure if maybe this is causing a conflict? I'm sure this isn't the right forum to post this to but i couldn't figure out which one would be better... can someone please point me in the right direction?

my specs:
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz 69 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 658MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (CPUSocket) 35 °C
Graphics
W2240 (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (ASRock)
1024MB AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
Hard Drives
466GB Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 ATA Device (SATA) 41 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 ATA Device
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

G

Is the mouse wireless or wired? Do you have another mouse or access to another PC to try your mouse on? If you reformatted your HDD, then you can pretty much rule out the drivers and OS. It sounds like either the motherboard or the mouse itself. And if other USB devices are working fine, then the mouse is probably the main suspect. If it is wireless, there might be some interference. If it is sticking or pausing for a second or two, there might be a problem with the surface you are using it on (mouse pad, wood desk, glass table, couch, etc.) or the bottom of the mouse, be it an optical or laser, may be dirty. Also, if it is a wireless, it could be the batteries.

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

i have the exact same problem with other USB mouses that I've tried. it is a wired mouse. a 2 button Compaq standard USB mouse. i can use the mouse on other computers just fine its only since i installed my new MOBO and CPU that I've gotten this problem. the problem is when i load up from a fresh re-format i cant even access the internet i guess i'll throw all the drivers i need on a separate DVD and try a fresh re-format

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

i tried installing the asrock usb drivers and the intel usb drivers and the problem persists. in the process of burning the drivers and apps to the disk and reformatting but the files on the asrock website match the ones on my MOBO driver disk almost identically. should i be installing the intel usb drivers and not the asrock usb drivers? also, should i be installing any of the utilities? thanks for the help i will post after the reformat for an update on my status.

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

I installed only these drivers from the AS rock website and the mouse freezing issue is still there. i didn't notice the issue before i installed the INF firmware upgrade or the Intel ME upgrade or the audio driver and VGA driver upgrade. or is this a hardware issue? should i attempt another formatt and only install the Intel USB drivers and the LAN drivers ?

files i installed

D:\Broadcom_Win7-64_Vista64_XP64(v14.8.4.1_64Bit).zip\LAN(v14.8.4.1_64Bit)

D:\INF_Win7-64_Win7_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP(v9.3.0.1019).zip\INF(v9.3.0.1019)

D:\Intel_USB3_Win7-64_Win7(v1.0.4.220).zip\Intel_USB3(v1.0.4.220)

D:\ME_Win8-64_Win8_Win7-64_Win7_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP(v8.1.2.1318_1.5M).zip\ME(v8.1.2.1318_1.5M)

D:\Realtek_Win7-64_Win7_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP(6559).zip\Audio(6559)

D:\VGA_Win8-64_Win7-64(v15.28.6.64.2857).zip\VGA(v15.28.6.64.2857)

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

going to try updating the bios now i really hope this works ive been through like 3 formats already T_T

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

i havn't noticed the problem yet since the reboot will let you know if it persists. looks like that might have done the trick though if so i will select your answer as the answer and make sweet digital love to you.

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

the problem persists -_-

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

no it didn't.

i removed all the usb drivers from device manager and now when i start up my pc it says installing new device but the mouse completely wont work and it just keeps saying "installing device..." i tried to re-install the intel usb drivers as well as the asrock usb drivers and i can't get the mouse to work at all now. oddly enough the mouse still works when i load up the motherboard settings by pressing f2 at startup...

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
after 5 minutes of that it decided to start working... i've already installed both the usb drivers from the asrock website i guess i'll test if the problem still persists T_T

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

now when i try to install the intel usb drivers i get the message "the setup program failed to install one or more device drivers" and crashes... problem still persists ffs.

G

I think you should return the motherboard before the return date passes from the place you got it. If no other USB input device works properly and you can't even install the USB controller drivers without a problem happening, then it is most likely a bad USB controller or a bad link somewhere between the USB port and the controller on the motherboard. Since it is intermittent, it was probably hard to detect during brief tests at the factory so it passed and unfortunately you ended up purchasing it.

A side note: what RAM are you using? In the first post with your PC's specs, it says the DDR3 RAM is 658 MHz? Is that accurate or is it a typo and really 1600 Mhz? I don't even think there is a 658 MHz DDR3 RAM, the lowest is 800 MHz and the minimum on a Z77 board is 1333 MHz.

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
here is an update: i figured maybe since i have the new bios i would try a fresh format and see if that worked. i loaded up a fresh copy of windows 7 and insert my drivers disk that i downloaded from the asrock website. the first driver i try to load is the INF driver. everything goes clean and i restart. next up, internet drivers because since the mouse isn't having any problems so far i should be in the clear if i can just get internet. i try to install the LAN driver... cpu freezes. restart pc copy the file to desktop from cd unzip it try to run it like that... freezes. ok -_- . now i think well what would happen if i try to install the asrock usb drivers at this point? it gives me an error message of "there were errors created during the installation of your broadcom LAN drivers in order to move forward with the installation you need to remove these errors do you want to do this now?"(or something to that effect) i click yes. installed ASrock usb drivers successful, no sign of mouse lag yet. i go back to try and install the broadcom LAN drivers... immediately after successfully installing the LAN drivers the USB problem starts. that can't just be a coincidence can it?

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

my ram is 1333mhz idk why it comes up clocked like that...

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

i ordered it from newegg on 4/17 i still see the option to refund/return is still there. so i still have that option available but how do i know that if i get another z77 board that i wont have the same problem and why is the problem only begining to happen once i install my LAN drivers...