• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

USB Mouse Not Working In Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad_ept

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Hi. I've just bought a new Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1A USB/ PS/2. I want to use it as a USB mouse, but for some reason it will only work when I plug it in using the PS/2 adapter. I have checked to make sure USB mouse is enabled in the BIOS. I'm using Vista Ultimate (32 bit).

When I plug the mouse into a USB port it installs fine and the optical sensor starts working, but the mouse doesn't work. Nothing shows up under 'Mouse' in control panel. When I check in Device Manager, the mouse shows up as a Human Interface Device, but there is nothing there for 'Mouse'. I have tried downloading the latest mouse software from Microsoft, which installs fine, and works OK when the mouse is installed in the PS/2 port, but if I restart and put the mouse in the USB port it doesn't show up as installed even in the MS Mouse software.

I don't want to use the mouse with the PS/2 adapter because it sticks out too far at the back of the computer, and because there is some sort of grounding issue with my PS/2 ports which I'm too lazy to sort out- sometimes when I remove or plug-in a PS/2 device while the computer is switched on (I know you're not supposed to do this) the computer powers off.

Any ideas as to what I can do to get the mouse working on the USB?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.