Question USB Mouse randomly disconnecting, won't connect again unless I restart the PC.

Mk56TClaire

Reputable
Jul 26, 2017
Hi everyone.
The title says it all. A few days lately I have this problem, firstly it was occurred at late night, once a day. But now sometimes it occurred at afternoon too, twice a day now and sometimes keyboard too. When it happened, it affect two USB ports at once. One at the back where I plugged the mouse and one on the front panel.
I tried plugging the keyboard and another mouse on the same port, but it didn't work unless I restart the PC. Weirdly enough, the same USB port can read a USB drive without any problem. Only mouse and keyboard won't work.

I'm not sure this is a hardware related problem since everything works if I restart the PC, and the mouse and keyboard worked if I plugged them on other available USB ports (without restart). Is this OS bug (I'm using Windows 10) or something else?

My pc specs:
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • Asrock B450 Pro4
  • TeamGroup Vulcan Z 2x8GB RAM
  • Sapphire RX 480 8GB reference model
  • Seasonic Focus+ Gold (SSR-550FX) 550W PSU
  • PCIe WLAN Adapter
  • Internal storage: Kingston A2000 NVME 250GB, TeamGroup EX2 SATA 512GB, WD Blue 1TB HDD
Everything that plugged on USB ports:
  • Logitech B100 mouse
  • mechanical keyboard
  • XP-Pen Star 03 graphics tablet
  • on USB Hub: 2x external HDD

Colif

Win 11 Master

Mk56TClaire

Reputable
Jul 26, 2017
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.
I found at another forum (LTT) that someone had a similar problem: https://linustechtips.com/topic/130...-have-to-reboot-pc-to-get-them-running-again/
In his case, it seems the problem caused by his keyboard. He replaced his keyboard with another one and didn't encounter the problem unless he plugged his previous keyboard.

So I'm currently using a spare mouse to make sure the problem was caused by my previous one. There is no disconnect-reconnect or disconnect-need to reboot issue so far, I'll post any update later.