[SOLVED] USB Mouse sometimes doesn't work on this particular laptop, but it works on other laptops ?

Wibs

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2014
Hi, I have a Fujitsu Lifebook E series laptop, out of warranty, running Windows 10, and my mouse stopped working a few days ago. The mouse is a logitech usb wireless.
So the first thing I did was to try it on two other laptops and the mouse worked fine.

Then I tried two other working mice, one usb wireless and the other usb wired, on my Fujitsu, these did not work either. So next I went into Device Manager, Mice and Other Pointing Devices, and my HID-Compliant Mouse was there, no errors, and the message that this device was working normally, but of course, it wasn't. I uninstalled the driver, then reinstalled it again. Nothing. I tried a restore point prior to the problem, that didn't fix it.

I reinstalled the driver for the touchpad, which I had disabled when I first got the laptop, as I prefer a mouse and the accidental movements the touchpad brought when I brushed over it while typing was getting on my nerves. Device Manager now said the touchpad was present and working, but, of course, it wasn't, despite Fn-f4 saying Enabled/Disabled on each press, but no actual response from the touchpad. The touchpad diagnostic tool said it could not detect any right or left clicks. Tried installing a different mouse via Detect New Device, but no new mouse was detected in any usb port that I tried. Gave up, went to bed. Switched on the next day and the mouse was working again!

Another Windows update came along, which the required a restart, and on restart the mouse was not working again, but the touchpad was. Next day it was reversed, with the mouse working again but not the touchpad. Next day on power on neither were working again, but again, no errors reported. So I have given up, and headed to Tom's Hardware. Any suggestions?

Solution
To me that is very unusual. Until you mentioned the touchpad, I was thinking it was the USB port. Something seems not right in Windows. My only recommendation would be to perform a clean installation of Windows. Since this appears to not be a hardware issue a reinstallation would likely be the solution.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
To me that is very unusual. Until you mentioned the touchpad, I was thinking it was the USB port. Something seems not right in Windows. My only recommendation would be to perform a clean installation of Windows. Since this appears to not be a hardware issue a reinstallation would likely be the solution.

Solution