USB Mouse will not install

michael311

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Hello,
When I try to install a USB Mouse Win XP says cannot install this hardware ... the data is invalid. I have tried several USB mice and they all give me the same issue. Other USB devices (USB Keyboard, USB flash drive) work fine. Also the PS/2 Mouse works fine. I just can get a USB mouse or USB touchpad to install. Please help.

mibix19

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi. Go to device manager click on unknown device(yellow marked) Click update driver. select "browse my computer for driver software" followed by "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and then under "mice and other pointing devices" instead of selecting "USB Browser mouse" (which it is) select "HID-Compliant mouse click then install it. (If there is no yellow exclamation mark continue from update driver anyway)

michael311

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Thanks, but that did not work. It continues to give me the message: "The data is invalid". I have even tried using the drivers provided on cds that came with the various usb mice even though they should all be plug and play. I cannot understand why I can use USB keyboards, flash drives, speakers, etc. but I cannot use a usb mouse.

I have also tried disconnected the PS2 mouse just in case it was causing a conflict, but I still get the same error. I would like to know where it thinks the data is bad so I could replace it.

michael311

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
I have fixed the problem. I compared the files under Windows\System32\Drivers with another computer and noticed a file was missing: mouhid.sys. I copied the file to my computer and I am now able to connect USB mice. Life should not be this hard. Thank you for your help.