USB mouse

i have installed driver to use optical mouse. but my pc always hang and
there is an error saying that the pc cant detect ps/2 mouse port. i have to
reboot the pc several times per day then i can use the optical mouse. i have
checked on mouse device list and there is no option for ps/2 mouse port. what
should i do? plz help me. thanks.

What's the optical mouse's make/model? Is it a PS/2 connections (round,
approx 1/3 inch in diameter.) Or is it a USB mouse? What did you have
installed previously?

There isn't normally any separate Device Manager entry for PS/2 ports,
just the devices (keyboard or mouse) themselves. Furthermore, it isn't
necessary to install any special drivers unless you want the extra
"cool" goodies that the mouse offers.

I suggest you uninstall any programming that you installed, then look in
Device Manager and delete whatever mouse is found, then restart and see
what happens.

You may also need to check BIOS settings and see if there's an option to
enable/disable the PS/2 mouse. What it should be depends on what you
have. PS/2 or USB?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"lita" <lita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> i have installed driver to use optical mouse. but my pc always hang
> and
> there is an error saying that the pc cant detect ps/2 mouse port. i
> have to
> reboot the pc several times per day then i can use the optical mouse.
> i have
> checked on mouse device list and there is no option for ps/2 mouse
> port. what
> should i do? plz help me. thanks.

the model is MD something and in order to use the usb mouse for windows 98,
i have to installed the driver from
http://www.driver333.com.tw/mousedriver.htm.
i have tried to remode the usb port and installed it again but seems that
the same problem occured. and also i have checked the bios settings but there
is no option for me to disable the ps/2 mouse.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> What's the optical mouse's make/model? Is it a PS/2 connections (round,
> approx 1/3 inch in diameter.) Or is it a USB mouse? What did you have
> installed previously?
>
> There isn't normally any separate Device Manager entry for PS/2 ports,
> just the devices (keyboard or mouse) themselves. Furthermore, it isn't
> necessary to install any special drivers unless you want the extra
> "cool" goodies that the mouse offers.
>
> I suggest you uninstall any programming that you installed, then look in
> Device Manager and delete whatever mouse is found, then restart and see
> what happens.
>
> You may also need to check BIOS settings and see if there's an option to
> enable/disable the PS/2 mouse. What it should be depends on what you
> have. PS/2 or USB?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "lita" <lita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > i have installed driver to use optical mouse. but my pc always hang
> > and
> > there is an error saying that the pc cant detect ps/2 mouse port. i
> > have to
> > reboot the pc several times per day then i can use the optical mouse.
> > i have
> > checked on mouse device list and there is no option for ps/2 mouse
> > port. what
> > should i do? plz help me. thanks.

That "model is MD something" simply isn't sufficient information. Again,
I've yet to see a USB mouse that requires additional drivers in Win98
and up.

You say you removed the USB port and reinstalled it. I don't understand
why. Let me see if I can restate my suggestions:

1. In Add/Remove Programs, look for a possible entry from the MD Drivers
installation. If so, uninstall it.

2. In Device Manager, remove the *mouse*. Nothing in the USB section
needs to be removed, only the mouse itself. Then restart and see what
happens.

--

> the model is MD something and in order to use the usb mouse for
> windows 98,
> i have to installed the driver from
> http://www.driver333.com.tw/mousedriver.htm.
> i have tried to remode the usb port and installed it again but seems
> that
> the same problem occured. and also i have checked the bios settings
> but there
> is no option for me to disable the ps/2 mouse.
>

> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> What's the optical mouse's make/model? Is it a PS/2 connections
>> (round,
>> approx 1/3 inch in diameter.) Or is it a USB mouse? What did you have
>> installed previously?
>>
>> There isn't normally any separate Device Manager entry for PS/2
>> ports,
>> just the devices (keyboard or mouse) themselves. Furthermore, it
>> isn't
>> necessary to install any special drivers unless you want the extra
>> "cool" goodies that the mouse offers.
>>
>> I suggest you uninstall any programming that you installed, then look
>> in
>> Device Manager and delete whatever mouse is found, then restart and
>> see
>> what happens.
>>
>> You may also need to check BIOS settings and see if there's an option
>> enable/disable the PS/2 mouse. What it should be depends on what you
>> have. PS/2 or USB?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "lita" <lita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > i have installed driver to use optical mouse. but my pc always hang
>> > and
>> > there is an error saying that the pc cant detect ps/2 mouse port. i
>> > have to
>> > reboot the pc several times per day then i can use the optical
>> > mouse.
>> > i have
>> > checked on mouse device list and there is no option for ps/2 mouse
>> > port. what
>> > should i do? plz help me. thanks.

dear gary,

yes, i have already done both of your suggestion and still the same thing
happen. could it be the os corrupted?

thanks.