[SOLVED] USB not recognized error after connecting to a virus infected laptop!

Rocky1805

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
Hey.
I have a ADATA HV620 2 TB external HDD.
Recently I connected it to my friend's computer to transfer some data he requested. Turns out, his laptop was full of virus. It wasn't detected on his computer even after disconnecting and reconnecting multiple times. But after that, the hdd wouldn't be detected in any other computer or even my television. On my laptop it says "USB not recognized. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it." Here is the image of device manager pl have a look. The led indicator on the hdd lights up whenever connected. Also I can feel the motor in the hard disk running but it just doesn't show up in This PC. I tried reinstalling the drivers and various other "fixes" that numerous sites/videos claimed to work but no luck. There are some important files in it so I really don't want to loose them. Can someone help me with this, plz?

Last edited:
Solution
How badly do you need the files?

If you have tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, and device not showing in drive management, can you get the device to show up in a *nix boot config? Tools like Parted Magic may be helpful there, but it isn't freeware (it's like $11.00 ?)

If you don't mind voiding the warranty, you can remove the drive from it's enclosure, and check the USB adapter, or plug the drive into a standard internal SATA config. Make sure you have active anti-virus running and have disabled autoplay.

Micro SATA would need an adapter of course.
How badly do you need the files?

If you have tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, and device not showing in drive management, can you get the device to show up in a *nix boot config? Tools like Parted Magic may be helpful there, but it isn't freeware (it's like $11.00 ?)

If you don't mind voiding the warranty, you can remove the drive from it's enclosure, and check the USB adapter, or plug the drive into a standard internal SATA config. Make sure you have active anti-virus running and have disabled autoplay.

Micro SATA would need an adapter of course.

Solution