Question USB not working, except for mouse and keyboard.

iigoru

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Can someone help me, please? My computer is not getting anything connected through the USB ports except for the mouse and keyboard. Tried 3 different phones and 1 external HD. Nothing. Not even any type of notification on the computer, or yellow marks on device manager. The phones don't even charge, and yes they work on other computers.
If I turn the computer off, connect the phone and then turn the computer on, it charges but it goes back to nothing once Windows starts.
I already disabled the option of suspending the USB power, both in control panel and device manager, but it didn't solve the problem. Also the regedit thing is already at 3.
I also have no internet connection available on the computer at the moment (was planning on using my phone as a WiFi adapter). What could it be? I don't think they're broken since both mouse and keyboard work on all ports.

Check your BIOS, in the advanced menu options you should find the options to enable or disable use of each of the provided usb ports on your motherboard. This sounds like a BIOS issue, as disabling the USB ports in the BIOS, as with your issue, does not affect your mouse or keyboard. Often this is done by mistake as you are called upon to disable disabling the USB ports :)

iigoru

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Check your BIOS, in the advanced menu options you should find the options to enable or disable use of each of the provided usb ports on your motherboard. This sounds like a BIOS issue, as disabling the USB ports in the BIOS, as with your issue, does not affect your mouse or keyboard. Often this is done by mistake as you are called upon to disable disabling the USB ports :)

My motherboard is a Gigabyte F2A55M-HD2. I don't see an advanced menu option and the USB options are "OnChip USB Controller", which is enabled, "Legacy USB Support", also enabled, "port 60/64 emulation", disabled as default. I tried to enable the last item to see if something happened but it was the same.

iigoru

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Did this just start happening? I had the same problem with my Moto e4 plus. It also charged but there was no connection. Are you using the same cable with all three? because it turned out to be a bad cable. What external HD do you have?
No, 3 different cables. Samsung M3 portable HD, 1tb.

Well as far as your external hdd goes, from what I have read, windows 10 does not have drivers for the Samsung M3 portable HD (the driver comes from Seagate), 1tb, and the software for the drive only works with Windows 8. My guess is if you hold onto it long enough, a Windows update will support it down the road. IT also appears that all three of your phones require software to connect to a PC.

Do you have any other USB devices you can try, like a flash drive?

iigoru

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Well as far as your external hdd goes, from what I have read, windows 10 does not have drivers for the Samsung M3 portable HD (the driver comes from Seagate), 1tb, and the software for the drive only works with Windows 8. My guess is if you hold onto it long enough, a Windows update will support it down the road. IT also appears that all three of your phones require software to connect to a PC.

Do you have any other USB devices you can try, like a flash drive?

Yes, I have a 16gb SanDisk flash drive. Same problem, nothing happens.

You said you uninstalled the root, maybe this will work.

Yesterday when I connected my SanDisk USB Flash disk to my Windows 10 PC, it showed an error that the USB device has malfunctioned and Windows could not recognize it. This alarmed me a little bit as I had so many important files on this USB disk. At first I thought the disk had gone bad, but I was proven wrong when I connected it to another PC running Ubuntu Linux. Clearly the USB disk was functioning alright, but there was some problem in the Windows configuration. So after fifteen minutes of trying out various things I figured out that the problem was with the USB drivers and fixed it.
Here is how you can fix the problems related to Windows not recognizing mass storage devices (or perhaps even other types of USB devices):
Since we are going to uninstall the USB drivers for USB serial bus controllers, all the USB devices will stop working including your mouse and keyboard. So we have to setup a timer to restart Windows before mouse or keyboard stops working. You can use a software like Daxtar Shutdown Timer for this and make it reboot your PC in 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can open an elevated command prompt (press Win+X hotkey, select Command prompt (Admin) from the menu) and give this command: shutdown /r /f /t 300 in the command prompt window. This will restart your PC in 300 seconds (5 minutes) which is enough time for finishing our job.
  1. Press Win+R hotkey to open the Run dialog, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. This will open the Device Manager.

2. In the Device Manager, expand the USB Serial Bus Controllers node, right-click on all the device one-by-one starting from the top and select Uninstall from the right-click menu.
  3. After you have uninstalled all the USB controllers devices, you will find that your mouse and keyboard has stopped working. Wait for the timer set in the first step to trigger the restart of the PC. When Windows reboots, it will automatically re-install the USB controllers in your computer, without you having to do anything further. Now the USB devices should work without any problems.

Other than that, we are talking about 4 USB ports that will not work with any storage device. It sounds like a BIOS/Software/Configuration issue but I can't think of where to go from here. You may need to take your PC into the repair shop. Good Luck

Last edited:
I see you MB has a separate USB block utility. See if it is installed.
block.jpg

Last edited:

iigoru

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
You said you uninstalled the root, maybe this will work.

Yesterday when I connected my SanDisk USB Flash disk to my Windows 10 PC, it showed an error that the USB device has malfunctioned and Windows could not recognize it. This alarmed me a little bit as I had so many important files on this USB disk. At first I thought the disk had gone bad, but I was proven wrong when I connected it to another PC running Ubuntu Linux. Clearly the USB disk was functioning alright, but there was some problem in the Windows configuration. So after fifteen minutes of trying out various things I figured out that the problem was with the USB drivers and fixed it.
Here is how you can fix the problems related to Windows not recognizing mass storage devices (or perhaps even other types of USB devices):
Since we are going to uninstall the USB drivers for USB serial bus controllers, all the USB devices will stop working including your mouse and keyboard. So we have to setup a timer to restart Windows before mouse or keyboard stops working. You can use a software like Daxtar Shutdown Timer for this and make it reboot your PC in 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can open an elevated command prompt (press Win+X hotkey, select Command prompt (Admin) from the menu) and give this command: shutdown /r /f /t 300 in the command prompt window. This will restart your PC in 300 seconds (5 minutes) which is enough time for finishing our job.
  1. Press Win+R hotkey to open the Run dialog, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. This will open the Device Manager.

2. In the Device Manager, expand the USB Serial Bus Controllers node, right-click on all the device one-by-one starting from the top and select Uninstall from the right-click menu.
  3. After you have uninstalled all the USB controllers devices, you will find that your mouse and keyboard has stopped working. Wait for the timer set in the first step to trigger the restart of the PC. When Windows reboots, it will automatically re-install the USB controllers in your computer, without you having to do anything further. Now the USB devices should work without any problems.

Other than that, we are talking about 4 USB ports that will not work with any storage device. It sounds like a BIOS/Software/Configuration issue but I can't think of where to go from here. You may need to take your PC into the repair shop. Good Luck

I'm back. I tried that but no success. I found out my 16gb Multilaser flash drive was detected and so tried to install a bunch of USB drivers through it. Nothing. Saw somewhere that it could be a PSU problem and that a way of finding out was to remove my video card and see if it made the USB port work. Nothing changed. However, I decided to plug the pins from the front USB ports into the motherboard that I haven't plugged before because I'm lazy lol And then my front ports worked perfectly! Detected my phone, etc. Back ports still only mouse and keyboard, though... Even updated the BIOS. Still dead.