Question USB Over Current Detected (while nothing is connected)

Aug 29, 2019
hello everyone,

a while ago i connected an Arduino microcontroller to the front panel USB of my case and immediately the system was rebooted and wouldn't boot up under any circumstance and would only display "USB Over Current Detected" error;

i have tried everything: removing all usb devices, removing the motherboard from the case, clearing CMOS, changing the mobo battery, i even sent the whole case to the warranty and they checked twice and informed me that the problem was detected to be from the RTC of the mobo which was apparently replaced, i got the system from the shop and turned it on, was fine the first boot up but then again after a restart the same problem occurred.

please help i'm desperate, not even the warranty did the job at fixing this...

system info:
Asus motherboard - Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2
2x16GB DDR3 2666 RAM XMP Ready
PSU: Green 700AC

When you say "nothing is connected" do you mean nothing is connected to the USB ports on the motherboard or on the case?

If you mean "case" I would disconnect them at the motherboard.

If you mean motherboard I would carefully inspect each port for any debris or anything out of the ordinary.

If you don't find anything and still have the problem I would have to say something is wrong with the motherboard.

Aug 29, 2019
When you say "nothing is connected" do you mean nothing is connected to the USB ports on the motherboard or on the case?

If you mean "case" I would disconnect them at the motherboard.

If you mean motherboard I would carefully inspect each port for any debris or anything out of the ordinary.

If you don't find anything and still have the problem I would have to say something is wrong with the motherboard.

thanks for the quick reply,
by "nothing is connected" i mean the motherboard,
i have carefully inspected every part and there are no debris or any other sort of nuisance,
could the USB ports on the mobo be permanently damaged and in need of a replacement?

thanks for the quick reply,
by "nothing is connected" i mean the motherboard,
i have carefully inspected every part and there are no debris or any other sort of nuisance,
could the USB ports on the mobo be permanently damaged and in need of a replacement?
I don't know if it's the port that damaged. It could be the traces that connect to the port or the electronics that drive the port.
If you inspected the MB ports and find nothing....I can't imagine what else there is you could do.
I know they said they replaced the RTC. I might be wrong but I don't see what the RTC would have to do with an over-current condition....or even a false over-current condition.