Question USB over current error with new CPU

Feb 20, 2020
Hi there,
do you have an idea? I have ASUS Prime X470 PRO MoBo and it is functional with A-9500 APU from AMD...
Replacing it with new Ryzen 5 3600 I get an error „USB over current error“ and not able to do anything even bios...
Latest bios is installed, USB slots are ok and tested – working with A6 CPU and also no short circuit (measured by voltmeter)...
Do you have any idea pleas, what could be wrong – what part is damaged?
CPU socket seem to be ok (after removing plastic slider all golden connectors are ok)
No warranty so I just want to figure out what's wrong (I have new MoBo) just curious about that

Thanks guys.

Feb 20, 2020
nope...I've tried to disable all peripherals and USB in bios with A6 processor and still got same error with new ryzen...
Just curious how it is possible that it is working with one cpu and not with other...

Apr 15, 2020
@jirxu - did you work out what was wrong? I've got the same MB with "USB over current", it was working fine but started doing it intermittently. I've removed all USB device connections (incl internal headers) and still get the fault. Restarting 2 or more times usually gets it to boot into Windows.

Apr 15, 2020
Okay, thanks. Mine is under warranty, so looks like I'll have to pursue that avenue.

I've updated the BIOS, checked USB connectors/ headers, tried 3 different power supplies, tried booting with absolutely no USB devices (even no mouse/ keyboard) but it still fails for USB over current. Restarting from within Windows 10 it's fine!? Same if it's not left off for long before rebooting.