News USB Overload: Portwell Motherboard Has 20 USB Ports

greatmaharg

Commendable
Jan 1, 2019
This board is pretty useless for miners. USB to PCIe adapters don't work on real USB ports, they use the physical USB connector to transmit normal PCIe signals.

TLGalenson

Honorable
Nov 19, 2016
This board is pretty useless for miners. USB to PCIe adapters don't work on real USB ports, they use the physical USB connector to transmit normal PCIe signals.
Is it possible that 3.1 supports video pass through? I haven't got the hardware to try that. But pcie uses the same lanes as sata etc so it might be possible. It is a common error non-mining hardware users could make.

KesZerda

Prominent
Mar 15, 2020
This article misses the point as to what the board's intended for. From Portwell's page on the board, it's inteded as a semi-embedded board, for things like robotics, where you're going to have a lot of devices hooked up and getting data from simultaneously. 20 ports means you don't need to worry about all the issues that things like hubs can bring, like being additional points of failure, latency, and also bandwidth allocation, that can be complicated when you're doing things like USB video.

Reactions: artk2219

GetSmart

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
4fmckx.jpg

Reactions: artk2219 and King_V

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Flex-ATX MoBo format needs to come back into common use.
Mini-ITX gives you 1 rear Expansion Card Slots
Mini-DTX gives you 2 rear Expansion Card Slots
Flex-ATX gives you 3 rear Expansion Card Slots
microATX gives you 4 rear Expansion Card Slots

Each one has it's own Strengths and weakness depending on how much PCB real estate you want to deal with.

srbabs

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
You know what, as a sysadmin for some companies in Brazil, that could be a solution for multi user desktop in the enterprise around here. If the price isn't prohibitive. With a 10 core cpu it's possible to have 8 to 16 office user on one of those with a 10 core cpu using the the micro atx version. (if you shove 2 to 4 VGA boards for graphic processing and monitor outputs) Kinda grey area, but i could save a ton on software licenses. Just with microsoft licences I could save up to 32 hundred dollars on the first year.

TheBeastFromOz

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
There's no such thing as USB port overload. For example, my little desktop PC has 6 rear ports and 4 front ports, all used. One of the rear ports also has a 7 port hub on it, all used. That's 16 ports used in total, and spares are always handy. I suspect many other people have a similar situation, everything is USB powered nowadays, including battery chargers and even batteries themselves, and it's just much more convenient to plug everything in to my PC rather than separate chargers etc (so far, I haven't hit the MB's power output limit). If they made a mini ITX or micro ATX Ryzen compat MB with a 450 or better chipset, I would look at it for my next build.

taz-nz

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
If only this was available a year or so ago, about 12-18 months ago I had to find a solution for a film production company that wanted to remotely trigger ~130 DSLR camera simultaneously, they had software that would trigger the cameras via USB port, but in testing with 24 cameras they discovered USB hubs didn't work, the cameras would go to sleep while they were setting up a scene and would not wake automatically unless connected directly to PC USB port.

So we had to find a way to add a lot of USB port to a PC, ended up with 5 networked computers, each with a i3 CPU for onboard graphics and Gigabyte H370 HD3 motherboard because it has 6x PCIe slots, which we filled with a 4 port USB3.0 cards, so each PC ended up with 28 available USB ports once a few of onboard port were used for keyboard mouse etc.

Last edited:
Why did they make this for the Xeon platform? Are they trying to troll Intel for having fewer PCI-Express lanes?

PCI-Express Lanes:

Xeon: 28 (For the low-level ones supported here)
EPYC: 64 (regardless of which model)

This motherboard is what I like to call "Almost a good idea".

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS