[SOLVED] USB Partitioned ?

Dec 31, 2020
Greetings All,

Been having problems getting Windows 10 to load on a new build. When I was in bios to change boot order to USB I saw three listings:

1.) Corsair NVME (Brand new - going to install windows on that)

2.) USB 2.0 Generic (maybe it said standard don't recall exactly)

3.) USB 2.0 Partitioned

I had the USB plugged in and I chose the generic one. That appears to have created some problems. Honestly I never even heard of USB having partitions.

Can you use a partitioned USB to install Windows 10?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Fredisius

Solution
There are ways to have multiple partitions on a USB drive.
If the drives identifies that way.
Which is typical with external hard drives, but also some flashdrives offer it. (my 64GB Sandisk Cruizer Extreme does it)
Those drives will be listed together with the hard drives when you plug it in.

If the drive identifies as a "simple" external media (as almost all USB thumbdrives do), then not.
At least Windows can't deal with it and only sees the first partition (assuming it's in a type Windows knows, like FAT32, NTFS or exFAT) . Linux is less picky and will see and be able to mount all of them.
Those drives will be listed under removable media.
Dec 31, 2020
USAF,

I went to the MS support page where you can create installation media. I only had one USB in - the one with windows 10 on it.

The USB on my front case seems a bit odd though. There are two separate USB slots yet they connect into a single bundle wire that ends with one connector. I never had any issues or even noticed a problem when running my ASUS Sabertooh R2.0 mobo.

If that's a potential problem is it possible to boot from one of the mobo USB ports?

Appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Fredisius

USAF,

I went to the MS support page where you can create installation media. I only had one USB in - the one with windows 10 on it.

The USB on my front case seems a bit odd though. There are two separate USB slots yet they connect into a single bundle wire that ends with one connector. I never had any issues or even noticed a problem when running my ASUS Sabertooh R2.0 mobo.

If that's a potential problem is it possible to boot from one of the mobo USB ports?

Appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Fredisius
USB always goes in pairs, 2 ports at each connector. It (front one) may be an USB3 and some motherboards may have problem booting of it if not USB2.
Your MB certainly has some USB2 ports at back (usually black) so you should try same procedure from back connectors.

There are ways to have multiple partitions on a USB drive.
If the drives identifies that way.
Which is typical with external hard drives, but also some flashdrives offer it. (my 64GB Sandisk Cruizer Extreme does it)
Those drives will be listed together with the hard drives when you plug it in.

If the drive identifies as a "simple" external media (as almost all USB thumbdrives do), then not.
At least Windows can't deal with it and only sees the first partition (assuming it's in a type Windows knows, like FAT32, NTFS or exFAT) . Linux is less picky and will see and be able to mount all of them.
Those drives will be listed under removable media.

Solution