I have a Dell Latitude laptop running Window XP Professional. The usb port on the back of my machine is damaged so I purchased a USB PCMCIA card. I slotted this into the side of the machine and Windows XP did it's thing and returned with the message the card has been installed. However when I connect any hardware (e.g. modem or CDRW) through the card it is not being picked up. The modem is powered by the laptop whereas the CDRW is self-powered.

Any idea or help would be much appreciated.

Connect external power to your card.
If it doesn't have input for external power supply, use a powered hub.
--PA