USB port with power-off charging - Will it keep powering on a non-chargeable device?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
There's this blue USB port on my laptop called "USB port with power-off charging" used to charge mobile devices even when the laptop is sleeping or off.

I plan to use the port for a microphone because all the other ports on my laptop are used for my keyboard and mouse.

I want to keep it plugged in all the time, so if I plug in the microphone while the laptop is off, will it really keep it powered on and waste the battery as long as it's plugged in?

Is there any way to disable this feature/will I not have to worry if it's not a phone that is plugged in?

I also read that some non-certified 3.0 devices might not work, is this something to worry about if I just want to plug in a non-chargeable device? What does this mean?

Does disabling "USB Selective suspend setting" not affect the power-off charging port/will it only work when the laptop is asleep? Will using this power options method affect the usability of my mouse and keyboard when it's asleep/wakeup/powers on in any way and should I utilize it?

That USB port will power on any device you plug into it and it cannot make the distinction as to what the device is.

Regarding non-certified devices, well, they're not certified so I wouldn't expect them to work as expected in a given USB port.

And the "USB Selective suspend" setting is meant to effectively turn off USB devices if there's no activity from them for a while (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/usbcon/usb-selective-suspend). It will likely not affect certain USB devices like input devices.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
That USB port will power on any device you plug into it and it cannot make the distinction as to what the device is.

Regarding non-certified devices, well, they're not certified so I wouldn't expect them to work as expected in a given USB port.

And the "USB Selective suspend" setting is meant to effectively turn off USB devices if there's no activity from them for a while (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/usbcon/usb-selective-suspend). It will likely not affect certain USB devices like input devices.
I see, so this option likely won't affect mouse and keyboard whatsoever, but maybe microphones to save power until it detects sound?

Does this mean these options have no affect on the power-off USB port and the microphone I plug in will constantly be powered on no matter what if it's plugged in to the laptop?

I see, so this option likely won't affect mouse and keyboard whatsoever, but maybe microphones to save power until it detects sound?

Does this mean these options have no affect on the power-off USB port and the microphone I plug in will constantly be powered on no matter what if it's plugged in to the laptop?
With most computers power to the usb ports when the computer is off is controlled by a BIOS setting. However there does not seem to be any Acer literature detailing BIOS settings so there's not way of reading up on this to prepare. If you're comfortable with going through all of the bios settings looking for this you could certainly try that. If not you may have to consult a professional.

Reactions: ShangWang

My guess is 50/50. On one hand, Windows is cognizant of microphone usage. On the other hand, some features require the microphone to basically be on all the time. So I'm going to chalk it up on a more conservative side and say it's on all the time.

And as mentioned you can turn off the USB power when the laptop is off through the BIOS settings.

Reactions: ShangWang

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
And as mentioned you can turn off the USB power when the laptop is off through the BIOS settings.
I see, does "off" mean when it's actually shutdown, or asleep as well?
Does this BIOS setting only affect the blue USB power-off port I was talking about, or all ports?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
It means completely off. And it only affects the specific USB port. The other ports will be off no matter what.
Sounds good, thanks!
There also seems to be an application called Acer Quick Access that can disable power-off charging, but it will keep running in the background and I noticed that uninstalling it and reinstalling it resets the changes, so I have to keep the application.

Edit: The Nitro 5 does not have the power-off option in BIOS, it is only accessible through the Quick Access App. Though in BIOS it does have USB Wake Support, does this mean any USB device plugged in can only wake the laptop up, not turn it on?

Last edited: