• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question USB/Portable SSD for huge video files: Speed/Heat issues

StupidComputers

Honorable
Feb 15, 2014
I'm having a very difficult time finding info on the best media for my needs: Transferring 50-100GB video files regularly.

I have a cheap sandisk USB , halfway decent write speeds for about 10 seconds then drop 20MB/s and gets crazy hot. I recent bought a Verbatim vx500: Much better (280-300MB/s) but again, gets quite hot and after 5-7 minutes tanks speed down to around the same crap. I'd really like not to have to wait an hour+ for a file to transfer.

I imagine heat is a problem here across the board given the size of the files, I feel like even nvme drives would have the same throttling issue eventually during a transfer that size. I don't think regular sATA3 SSDs do but I don't know. I need something more portable and a bit tougher than having to use a 2.5" SSD with a powered USB adapter - though grabbing an nvme to replace one of my SSDs and doing just that is my next move - until i snap off the ssd or adapter's connector...

Hoping someone might know of a better solution, thanks.

**Storage 250GB likely ideal

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS