Question USB Ports and GPU Not working on new PC build

landonbaker5

Prominent
Feb 5, 2020
I just built a new PC, not my first go round as I've done this numerous times. I ran into an issue this time that I've never had before and need some help.

When I power up the system, all the LEDs turn on and fans start spinning, etc., but for some reason I can't get any signal to my monitor, and none of the USB ports work.

I have a headset that is wireless and has an adapter that has a light on it when it's plugged in to any other system, and when I plug it into a USB on this one, it flashes really quick, then stops like it's not getting power consistently.

I've tried changing out the RAM as I've read on multiple threads it's likely a RAM issue, I have Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 16gb that has RGB on there and when it's not seated properly I know because the RGB doesn't turn on. I've got them in and they're lit up as they should be, but still no signal making it to the monitor or the mouse and keyboard.

I also checked the compatibility of all my parts, and they all show as being good to work together. Anyone have any ideas? Is my motherboard just bad or something? There are no LED lights on the mobo that indicate failures, so I'm stuck guessing here.

Parts:

Motherboard: Asus Prime Z590-P
Processor: Intel Core i9-10900 LGA1200
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 16GB 3200Mhz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070ti
PSU: EVGA 550GA

I just built a new PC, not my first go round as I've done this numerous times. I ran into an issue this time that I've never had before and need some help.

When I power up the system, all the LEDs turn on and fans start spinning, etc., but for some reason I can't get any signal to my monitor, and none of the USB ports work.

I have a headset that is wireless and has an adapter that has a light on it when it's plugged in to any other system, and when I plug it into a USB on this one, it flashes really quick, then stops like it's not getting power consistently.

I've tried changing out the RAM as I've read on multiple threads it's likely a RAM issue, I have Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 16gb that has RGB on there and when it's not seated properly I know because the RGB doesn't turn on. I've got them in and they're lit up as they should be, but still no signal making it to the monitor or the mouse and keyboard.

I also checked the compatibility of all my parts, and they all show as being good to work together. Anyone have any ideas? Is my motherboard just bad or something? There are no LED lights on the mobo that indicate failures, so I'm stuck guessing here.

Parts:

Motherboard: Asus Prime Z590-P
Processor: Intel Core i9-10900 LGA1200
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 16GB 3200Mhz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070ti
PSU: EVGA 550GA
Both front and rear USB ports?

Reactions: punkncat

landonbaker5

Prominent
Feb 5, 2020
Do you have both of the CPU power in use with the PSU on hand?
What do you mean? I have the CPU power plugged in if that's what you're asking.

I've tried the 4 pin connector as well as the 8 pin on the top left of the mobo. The cable from the PSU to the CPU is split into 2x4's. I've tried just plugging in a single 4 and plugging in both 4's into the 8 pin slot.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
What do you mean? I have the CPU power plugged in if that's what you're asking.

I've tried the 4 pin connector as well as the 8 pin on the top left of the mobo. The cable from the PSU to the CPU is split into 2x4's. I've tried just plugging in a single 4 and plugging in both 4's into the 8 pin slot.

This would indicate to me that you need to find a PSU with the appropriate connectors to plug to those locations. This is an i9 and everything Intel 9th gen and up are quite power hungry.

landonbaker5

Prominent
Feb 5, 2020
This would indicate to me that you need to find a PSU with the appropriate connectors to plug to those locations. This is an i9 and everything Intel 9th gen and up are quite power hungry.
I don't think I described the pins and connectors very well. The connectors are split 2x4, but they can link together and function as a 1x8. I've tried splitting them and putting a 4 in the 4 pin slot, and combining them and putting 8 in the 8 pin slot. There is not a noticeable difference in how everything functions.

I pulled the power specs for all my components and I should pull under 80% of max PSU wattage. I would think based on the fact that everything powers up and runs, it shouldn't be a power supply issue. I've had PSU issues in the past on a previous build and it wouldn't even turn anything on. This is getting power to all the components, but something isn't working properly to get the USBs up and the graphics online.

I tried plugging the HDMI directly into the Motherboard as well and nothing happens.

Is it possible the motherboard is F'd? I would think that if it was an issue with the GPU, then plugging directly into the mobo would make a difference, which it did not.

I feel like I've tried just about everything including breaking everything down and starting from scratch multiple times, and can't seem to get it to work.

Your motherboard should help indicate faults through the power LED as it doesnt have dedicated indicators like other models/variants.
Check if it does any of the following:
4 quick flashes-RAM error
Slow flashing every 2 seconds-gpu error
Slow flashing every 4 seconds-no boot device.

But to be sure just double check everything is seated properly including your cpu. Physically remove your gpu from the mobo and try running through integrated graphics. Try individual ram sticks.