USB ports creating a lot of heat

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016
for the past 2 days I have been leaving 2 USB ports on the left wide of my laptop vacant. They have been creating a lot of heat ( more than normal ) the bottom of the area of the usb gets very uncomfortable to touch ( its metal on the bottom ).
I have been using only the 2 other usb ports on the right for my mouse and headset, and they remain cool to touch like you wouldnt even consider it to be "warm".

What could be causing this uncomfortable heat?

Hi

What make & model laptop?

Its normally when devices are plugged in that the device plugged in gets warm
Eg usb memory stick

Are the ports usb 2 or usb 3 as usb 2 ports should be able to supply 5 volts at 0.5 amp = 2.5 watts

This may not be enough for all 2.5". External usb hard drives

What did you have plugged in to these ports ?
Is the usb port still warm or hot with nothing plugged in ?

Regards
Mike Barnes

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016

1. Lenovo Ideapad Y900

2. My USB ports are 3.0

3. I used to connect my mouse and USB mic there, but after noticing the heat, Ive decided to leave those 2 ports vacant all the time.The USB gets hot even if it has nothing connected in it. But it only creates a lot of heat when I am in a game. But when I am just in google or the desktop, They don't create a lot of heat. But when they do create a lot of heat, it is unlike the heat i experience before when i was playing.

----------------------------

I noticed my laptop shutting down by itself today 2 times ( both while in game ). I believe this has something to do with the heat?

UPDATE: my laptop automatically shut down again. I wasn't doing anything CPU or GPU intensive, I was just watching some Youtube videos for about 30 minutes then it went out

UPDATE 2: After writing the first update, after 10 minutes my laptop shut down again