Usb ports do not work after uninstalling AMD drivers *Need more help*

evans74

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
I have read the other threads and have tried to diagnose this problem, but I am having no luck. I got a new graphics card and went to uninstall the previous AMD graphics card drivers so that I could start fresh. I accidentally did an express uninstall, and now I have lost all of my AMD drivers and am not able to use usb ports. I am currently remotely accessing the problem computer through my laptop. I have tried running sfc /scannow as an admin but at the end of the scan I get a message saying that it could not repair all problems and to check the log file. I have tried to download the drivers form the motherboard support dvd, but I get a large error screen listing a bunch of errors and missing drivers and what not. I have tried going to AMD's website and Asus's website to redownload Catalyst and the usb and chipset drivers but every time I reboot, I am in the same place and nothing seems to be working. I have not set up a system restore, so I cannot restore to a previous point in time. I have also inserted my Windows 8 OEM disk but it tells me that it is not valid, which is weird. The last option that I want to do is completely reinstall the OS and lose all of my data and information. Is there something that I have not tried yet? Motherboard is an Asus Crosshair V Formula Z

evans74

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

Half way through an error message appears saying "install package failure". When I check the log file, it says that the 'catalyst control manager' failed installation

evans74

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

I booted in to safe mode and used the ATI driver sweeper. It did it's thing and when I went back to look at the local drive C: there was still several AMD folders with all kinds of files. Should it have deleted those files?

evans74

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

Should I run the ATI sweeper and then go back and manually delete any remaining AMD files on the C: drive and then try reinstalling the catalyst?

evans74

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
I have finally fixed the issue. I rechecked system restore and I did not see a tab earlier that listed update restore points. The last critical update that was listed was one from last month, so I restored to that point and every issue that I have had so far seems to have been resolved. Thank you smorizio for all of your help, I really appreciated it.

TRENDING THREADS