Question USB ports don't work, DisplayPort does ?

Jun 22, 2022
Hi, my computers USB ports don't work, not the front or back. My Displayport works though. It's USB 3.0 and i have also plugged the internal USB 3.0 cable in. Power is also connected properly, it shouldn't be the motherboard because i have replaced it with a new one and the problem prevailed. My ram is also properly installed.
Please help ):

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus prime z690-p wifi
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070TI
CPU: Intel i7-12700k
Ram: 2x Kingston Fury 3200mhz 8gb ddr5 (16gb in total)
SSD: Kingston Renegade 7300 read speed 1tb
Cooler: Liqmax III argb 360
PSU: Gigabyte P750GM 750w 80+ gold

Jun 22, 2022
I don't have windows as i can't enter the BIOS
The USB ports did work at one point, then they stopped so the mouse and keyboard is compatible.
It can also charge my phone so it does send power through
Thanks in advance ( :

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Is there any way I can download windows without a keyboard or mouse? Do i just start my monitor and put Window files in it?
No, you can try and use a older mouse or keyboard that has PS/2 connector if you have one of those and your mainboard as well. This is what I would do, and usually solves the problem if it’s just a driver issue.

Jun 22, 2022
No, you can try and use a older mouse or keyboard that has PS/2 connector if you have one of those and your mainboard as well. This is what I would do, and usually solves the problem if it’s just a driver issue.

No, i don't have any of those, i just tried plugging another mouse and keyboard in, it didn't work

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
So i reinserted the BIOS battery and double checked the ram
It still doesn't work, can you maybe tell me some more about jumper cables and what to do with them?
It’s just about disconnecting the PC from energy and also removing the battery, and then waiting about 30 seconds so you’re sure the bios settings are gone. Jumper does the same thing, it’s not a cable, it’s a small device that “jumps” the battery and prevents bios from having energy and then bios settings are lost and bios is resetted. Be sure you had removed power when you removed battery otherwise the bios will not be resetted.

Jun 22, 2022
It’s just about disconnecting the PC from energy and also removing the battery, and then waiting about 30 seconds so you’re sure the bios settings are gone. Jumper does the same thing, it’s not a cable, it’s a small device that “jumps” the battery and prevents bios from having energy and then data settings are lost and bios is resetted. Be sure you had removed power when you removed battery otherwise the bios will not be resetted.

Ok thank you
I did disconnect the BIOS battery while it didn't have power, i had to reinsert the GPU aswell so that is definitely over 30 sek
I also made sure to drain all the power from the motherboard.
Im starting to think it might be the front i/o cables? But then it shouldn't interfere with the rear i/o right?

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Ok thank you
I did disconnect the BIOS battery while it didn't have power, i had to reinsert the GPU aswell so that is definitely over 30 sek
I also made sure to drain all the power from the motherboard.
Ok, so still no usable mice/keyboard? This is really strange. So you used two different mainboards right? So I assume one of them at least is not broken so it’s not the USB port, I have a hunch, could be that CPU is either not seated properly or CPU itself is broken, since it provides those USB ports.

Jun 22, 2022
Ok, so still no usable mice/keyboard? This is really strange. So you used two different mainboards right? So I assume one of them at least is not broken so it’s not the USB port, I have a hunch, could be that CPU is either not seated properly or CPU itself is broken, since it provides those USB ports.

No it's the same motherboard, i sent back the old one and got back a new one
I highly doubt that it's the CPU since when the USB ports stopped working (they did work at one point on my old motherboard) my CPU hadn't been touched when the ports stopped
I could try sending it back to Intel though, that wouldn't hurt
And I'm sure i positioned it correctly since i lined it up with the arrows
Again thanks ( :
(Oh yeah and the mice and keyboard still doesn't work)

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
No it's the same motherboard, i sent back the old one and got back a new one
I highly doubt that it's the CPU since when the USB ports stopped working (they did work at one point on my old motherboard) my CPU hadn't been touched when the ports stopped
I could try sending it back to Intel though, that wouldn't hurt
Yea it’s very unlikely that the new MB is broken as well, I don’t think any was broken, it’s so unlikely you try a lot of different ports and all of them aren’t working that can’t be it. It could be the CPU, a broken controller, it’s something I never heard of so I’m cautious here, but it’s possible I would say. Otherwise I also have no clue what else it could be. It’s kinda bizarre.

Jun 22, 2022
Yea it’s very unlikely that the new MB is broken as well, I don’t think any was broken, it’s so unlikely you try a lot of different ports and all of them aren’t working that can’t be it. It could be the CPU, a broken controller, it’s something I never heard of so I’m cautious here, but it’s possible I would say. Otherwise I also have no clue what else it could be. It’s kinda bizarre.

I also had the same thought, it really shouldn't hurt sending my CPU back
But i also thought, could it be my internal front I/O cable for USB 3.0? I don't know if it could interfere with my rear I/O ports then..?
But yeah it is really bizarre

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
I also had the same thought, it really shouldn't hurt sending my CPU back
But i also thought, could it be my internal front I/O cable for USB 3.0? I don't know if it could interfere with my rear I/O ports then..?
But yeah it is really bizarre
Well the cable for front IO can only be inserted in one way, the correct way, or not fully inserted, but no it can’t interfere with the usual backports of the mainboard. I would try to send the CPU back, at the same time you can buy a cheaper replacement CPU to try it out with the mainboard, and then return it shortly after. Things I would do.

Jun 22, 2022
Well the cable for front IO can only be inserted in one way, the correct way, or not fully inserted, but no it can’t interfere with the usual backports of the mainboard. I would try to send the CPU back, at the same time you can buy a cheaper replacement CPU to try it out with the mainboard, and then return it shortly after. Things I would do.

Buying a replacement CPU while waiting for the other one is kinda genius thanks for that idea
But yeah i think I'll go on with that idea thanks for the help, if i remember this chat I'll go and respond if it got fixed

Reactions: KananX