USB ports dying?

li0nhart79

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Just wanted to gather some ideas before I go about spending money on my parents' computer. Here's the issue: I have a Kodak AIO printer hooked up to my parents' PC and just recently it started acting up and not detecting the printer. I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it but it did not work. At first I thought it was the printer gone bad, however it works great if I plug my laptop into it. So I figured it was a USB cable gone bad since I plugged it into my laptop with a different one. Sadly a new cable did not solve the problem. When I begin the setup through the Kodak software it initially detects the printer but after sitting on the install screen for about 5 min it says that it cannot detect the printer. I checked the Kodak forums and I can't see a similar problem posted. I am currently wondering if the USB ports on the motherboard are going bad. I have tried multiple ports front and back. The mobo is a good 6-8 years old now. The only thing with that idea is that everything else plugged into USB ports works so I dunno. Any ideas would be appreciated. :D

it may be that the usb hub driver is damaged. i would go into windows device manager and remove usb root hub and anything under it then go tp intel chipset driver and downlaod the newest chipset drivers if the mb uses an intel chipset and reinstall the usb root hub drivers.if the root hub is going bad on the mb or the usb port is bad from age it cheaper to buy a pci usb card.

li0nhart79

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Thanks I will try that. I have never messed with that before but it sounds easy enough. I did some research into the build though and I was wrong about the mobo age. I bought it in 2010 from newegg as an open box buy. Like I said though everything else that is USB runs fine. Also if I plug the printer into my laptop and then search my network on my mom's PC for printers it finds this printer and installs the drivers fine but as soon as I plug the printer back into my mom's PC it cannot install the drivers :??: I am at a loss here lol