USB ports failing?

SoLo123

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Recently whenever I'm playing games, all of my USB ports would just randomly shut off. Anything I have plugged into the ports, front and back, would just stop working, where I then have to restart my computer to get them working again. I'm running 8.1 and when I play games, the computer is at its hottest. My computer used to run fine with the heat. So is the constant heat finally getting to the motherboard, or is it just some bad update with 8.1?

This issue is usually caused by USB Selective Suspend. It happened to me when my pc's screens went off (for hybrid sleep) and I couldn't wake it up again. All I did was go into advanced power options and turn "USB Selective Suspend" off.

- Sam

SoLo123

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

So I disabled it and tried playing a game. Currently its fighting with me by shutting off the ports, but they end up responding again. After a few seconds it showed a message saying the USB wasn't recognized. After tripping in and out it finally calmed down for a bit. As I'm typing this I'm hearing USB connect/disconnect sounds.
Now since I disabled it and its still doing it, could it be a heat problem or what?