USB ports keep disconnecting and reconnecting.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JJx

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Ever since I completed building my computer several weeks ago, I have noticed I run into problems with the usb ports in the rear of the computer. Anything plugged in will seemingly randomly disconnect, then reconnect seconds later. The problem is the frequency of this; the disconnects can occur every several minutes, and sometimes in rapid succession.
I am fairly certain that I have all the proper drivers installed, but then again, I'm by no means tech savvy.
I've had no problem with USB ports that are on top of my case, but unfortunately that only limits me to two ports without usb hubs. I've currently got my mouse and keyboard plugged into those, along with one hub for expansion. Meanwhile, my external drives are rendered useless.

Build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
Cooling: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid
Mobo: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" SSD
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower
PSU: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

1. I've also looked up solutions and have tried unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under system options, but this does not solve the problem.

Loai Master

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
HI all,

Had the same issue but now its working fine, please use the below steps :
1- Open device Manager.
2- Human interface Devices. ( you will find many options such as micrsoft hardware USB, USB input device)
3- Right click in one of them or double click.
4- go to power management.
5- Uncheck the option of " Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" than OK.
Note* try to use step #3-5 on all available option*

Try to do the same thing in Universal Serial Bus controller.

Brayden51

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

Thank you so much! This straight up worked. I thought I had a faulty motherboard, I was about to file a complaint to Newegg.

Jorge Yorga

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

If all those steps (Device Manager and Power PLan changes) didnt work, follow the next video. It worked for me and i been trying to fix this thing for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHsqfX_W3tY

Good luck

rogerlebo

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
HI!

See my solution at the end of this message.

I used to write Android applications and to test them on my phone connected with a cable on USB port of my PC.
And everything works fine.
But, my PC died recently.
So, I decide to buy a Surface Pro 4.
Now, I have a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10.
I still want to write Android applications with Android Studio.
I install Android Studio and follow all the instructions on Google site.
When my application is completed, I want to test it on my my phone as usual.
But, the Surface Pro 4 never recognizes my actual phone and any others phones and tablets I have.

I tried all the solutions on this forum.
Nothing works.

Is the problem caused by

• the Surface Pro 4?
    Windows 10?
    the installation of Android Studio?
    some settings on my phones?
    the USB port?
As a last resort, I change the cable between the Surface Pro 4 and the phone.
And everything works fine now.
Wow!

And this cable was in the box of one of my phones.

So, do not forget to try to change your cable.

Bonne journée!

GlamourD

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
Thank you! Worked perfectly!

NikTheFix

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
I've had this problem over and over as a developer using mainly desktop pc's. In every case it was to do with USB 3. The workaround was always to disable USB 3 support in BIOS and / or uninstall USB 3 drivers and allow USB 2 drivers to be installed in their place. Not really a solution but I'd rather lose USB 3 than have to put up with intermittent connection which can affect everything on the bus.

Cleanup with
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/GhostBuster.shtml
to remove any ghosts.

Monitor with
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/device_remover_543c.html
to hunt down any remaining problems on the bus.

EradiusLore

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016

Thanks a lot mate worked like a charm, had this problem ever since i upgraded. external drive switched back within seconds of the settings being changed. your a star :)

Netolu

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
As mentioned, Selective Suspend it typically the cause of this issue. However, using the control panel to disable the feature doesn't often work. We've found the surefire method is to use regedit. Start, Run, regedit <enter>. CTRL+F, enhancedpowermanagement <enter>. Change found keys to 0 (zero). (F3 to search for next key after changing the first, until it can't find any more). There will be one or two that can not be changed, ignore those. After changing all found keys, reboot.

clarkie193

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016

I dont have the USB settings option in my advanced power settings, i only have 'balanced' 'desktop background settings' 'sleep' 'power buttons and lid' 'display' and 'brightness'. any ideas?

wet0n6rcd

DEZn00ts

Honorable
May 8, 2013

There is something about electrostatic interference with computers... I noticed when my wife would Turn on the burner to the stove my USB sound would go off. With a recent computer build it would do it when you turned the fan on and off. I GUESS it has something to do with electrical spark. Some motherboards have an option to reduce this, some dont... OR you might have a lose USB connection to a wireless Xbox controller, but I'm pretty sure its the first one. Hope that helps! ;) oh and there should be an option to "show all options" when looking to selectivity suspend usb devices.

Bee_Lyte

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
I'm having a similar issue with the Gigabyte F2A88XN-Wifi mobo. If it's a 2.0 USB drive the PC won't boot, and when I remove the drive and boot, when I put the 2.0 USB device in I get a regular but random stream of d/c and r/c. When I use my 3.0 External Harddrive, no issues at all. Any ideas?

Sorry, just realized I posted this as an answer, and I went to edit it, but don't see how to change it. Sorry guys.

:/

Matt_81

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
I had the same problem and I couldn't find any solution online anywhere- apparently it is a hardware issue from the devices getting a power overload so they shut off. However, I have discovered that when I use a slower cable/ older cable, the rate at which my devices disconnect is substantially reduced. For example, for my Samsung phone when I use the cable that came with the phone (which has fast charging enabled) it rapidly disconnects and reconnects, but when I use a basic android usb cable it's fine. Hope this helps!

BlackRaven000

Commendable
May 5, 2016

I have been having the same problems, i found that using This method and also turning off auto sleep on the phone works a treat, apparently the phone screen shutting off whilst connected to the pc has a negative affect where as making the USB connection disconect.

ReviZorro

Reputable
May 7, 2016
I found solution for disconnecting and reconnecting of my game controller (Saitek Quadrant) in Registry.
To prevent constant disconnecting and reconnecting you need to set parameter EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled for your USB device to "0".
This parameter is locates here - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB

More detailed from Microsoft Support:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2900614
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/usbcoreblog/2013/11/08/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-device-doesnt-charge-or-it-disconnects-and-reconnects-frequently/

Status
Not open for further replies.