USB ports KILL all thumb drives and devices

123malstrom

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013
something is killing my thumb drives. My Frankenstein computer with a new /usb MOBO has been working for months without fail............. suddenly I have lost four USB memory stick a card reader and a usb hub . ( 2 new usb sticks too.) Its using a extension cable from the rear usb port of a 2.0 port . ( cuse the front ports don't work) I don't dare try to
test with any more sticks ... has anyone had this problem before? I am buying a usb voltage tester but what are your thoughts? has this happened commonly?

123malstrom

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013
Well yes that one cable has been a commonality now that you point it out. Yes it is a rear USB port directly to the I/O plate, ,.but now I notice that the USB cable design fits two other ports marked Sata and firewire. I wonder if I got plugged in there and those ports carry a different voltage.

123malstrom

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013
So here is a screen shot of my voltage readout from Hw monitor. I did receive my Usb port tester from hong kong. It measured the same voltage o all usb ports when plugged into the ports.

It measured 5.13 to 5.17 V and would fluctuate from those top to bottom values. I have ........

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123lawrence/albums/72157679546338646

to ask is this really enough to cause damage to a USb thumb drive? I am measuring 5.25 on another computer that I trust.

This suspect computer has a brand new Lepr 500 power supply added 6months ago. If its not a voltage problem what 's killing my usbs and equipment.

123malstrom

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013
yes I lost a external Card reader and also a USB hub and 2 usbs connected to it. I changed the cable and then killed the usb there. That was when I could read the USB power output as stated in the above post at 5.13 to 5.17. The usb port will function my keyboard and mouse properly. But I think I've had it with this Ebay board. Its time to replace/ sell it.

123malstrom

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013

The original case and HP tower pavilion has what I call volcano mounts built right into the Case. If I use the gigabyte board in this case and spacers the I/O plate will not line up with the case exit. Like the HP board I did not use spacers and have had no trouble in six months of use. If I did I would have destroyed the board immediately. Do you have another view or experience on case spacers ?