Question USB ports malfunctioning during downloads

Jun 24, 2019
It seems I've run into a very strange problem that cropped up without any prior reason. For about the past year I've been searching on and off for a fix and it seems as if nobody else on the internet has had this problem.

While downloading any given item for any time longer than ~2 minutes my computer seems to start malfunctioning in response. The most common problem is my internet. I use an external USB adapter and, during this malfunction, it will invariably register as missing a network connection (yellow warning sign next to the wi-fi icon on the taskbar) and will eventually disconnect from the network, at which point it will tell me I am "unable to connect to this network".

Other problems seem to appear in a more random fashion. Occasionally my keyboard and mouse will cease to function and I will be forced to use the power switch to reboot, and sometimes my second monitor (DVI to USB, I haven't been able to afford a more reliable adapter yet) will begin flickering and failing to register when I move my pointer onto the screen.

As I said, this problem only occurs when I'm downloading something that takes more than 2 minute's time and will occasionally not happen at all. It seems to be a problem across the board, no matter if I'm downloading from the browser, from Steam, Origin, or any other given source.

It's likely I'm missing something very obvious here but I'm at my wit's end after having spent a year or so dealing with this.

Jun 24, 2019
Did you Install every Driver Properly? When it happens, are the Usb Ports running hot? Did you try to Plug the Wifi Stick in another port?

The ports definitely aren't running hot and past attempts to move the adapter has failed but I haven't tried recently. As for the drivers I checked and there was a fairly major update to the driver adapters I'd apparently missed. I'll try updating and seeing if that fixes things.