USB ports(not 3.0) and audio ports become disabled leads to BSOD

FFMultiverse

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
Hello, this is my first time posting here after months of searching for help on different websites and locally(repair shops) to no avail so hopefully someone can help me with my problem and I apologize for any errors and the long post.
This is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZddTTW
Problem Description: since 4 days after installing all parts
*Note: This problem USUALLY occurs within 3 hours

For the last 5 months whether idle, watching videos or playing games, computer will "freeze". All USB ports(sometimes delayed but not USB 3.0 ports on the motherboard) on the front panel and the ones from motherboard(the back) will all be disabled.

Audio will become distorted(disconnecting and reconnecting the speakers will disable the audio completely) / sometimes the audio will just turn itself off and not resort to distorting (nothing can be done to get sound back once freezing begins but a restart).

Internet will slow down during the freezing.(if playing online games (such as FFXIV or Guild Wars 2, everyone/thing will continue as normal, can still see people talking, moving and activating skills without any FPS lag(just distorted audio and laggy internet)

Everything begins to load very slowly / lag in desktop: shortcuts, applications, task manager and web browsers. Time in task bar will continue as normal.

During a valley benchmark stress test, our monitor went black during the freeze then went into standby mode, after 5mins, image returned and benchmark was continuing as normal without dropping in FPS.

After a certain amount of time after freezing begins and we disconnect the mouse and keyboard from their USB 2.0 ports(gaming mouse still has lights on during freeze unitl disconnected from usb 2.0 port, comes back on only in 3.0 port) we then plug them into USB 3.0 ports . Looking around in event viewer, device manager, task manager and desktop to figure out what caused the freezing to begin, would ultimately lead to the SSD/HDD notification light to stay on and not blink and one of these BSOD will occur:
KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR(spaceport.sys)(happened only once and was fixed with sfc /scannow and image restore)

After getting a BSOD and restarting, the problem sometimes doesn’t happen for the rest of day until we shut it down before sleep and turn it back on the next day.(has been on for 14 hours and 30mins then shutdown.. when turned back on in the morning freeze happened within an hour)

Extremely rare(happened only twice): During the freezing and after plugging in the mouse/keyboard into the USB 3.0 ports, if I use windows search or try to use event viewer the screen will flash sporadically showing only the default red background color and taskbar and the mouse will flash/change between the loading icon and mouse pointer icon. When this happened we were able to use CTRL + ALT + DELETE to get out of it, clicking task manger sent us back to desktop and the flashing frenzy continued with no background picture and just the taskbar.

We have:
RMA’d the motherboard: No problems were found after multiple configurations, so they sent it back to us.

RMA’d our two RAM sticks and got two new ones (still use XMP profile1 under bios as directed by RAM distributors) [With/without XMP profile, the problem persists]

Purchased an SSD to install windows on thinking our HDD that was duplicated from an older HDD was the culprit. With only the SSD connected, the problem still happened with a fresh install of windows.

Switched our GPU with the one from our older desktop thinking it was the GPU, but freezing still happened.

Changed all settings in power options and device manager to not turn off USB ports, sleep, hybrid sleep, hibernation and anything else that could cause it.

Ran memtest 13 hours, no errors,
We have reinstalled windows 8.1 64 bit at least 12 times now and still problem continues(even downloaded/installed 8.1 from Microsoft website to make sure it wasn't the CD.
SFC /scannow, chkdsk C: /f /r(when it was just HDD) , or image recovery only temporarily solves our issue for 1 day(in the first couple of months, but then again this really just seems to be a pattern of working after one shutdown and not the next) After we shutdown and turn it back on, the freezing will happen again in time.[SFC /scannow no longer finds any violations]

We have left it at a repair shop for a little over a month now and they could not figure out the problem. They even took parts from our computer onto a testing computer and nothing ever went wrong.

Installed drivers for Motherboard(BIOS, chipset/sata/audio/network ) and graphics card from manufactures’ websites and windows is updated to most current available.

Tried everything to get dump files for BSODs to generate but nothing we tried works since the SSD dies when the BSOD appears(no light that lets me know its working).

-Should also add that nothing ever overheats, there are no viruses according to malwarebytes and Norton 360(ran in safe mode with networking just in case), we've switch sata ports for ssd and hdd, also switch GPU to different slot.

*the problem before would "fix" itself after a restart/shutdown and can last as long as 14 hours or so which by then we shut it off for the night. Turning it back on the next day of course starts the cycle over again: works, fails, work, fails...
^nowadays restarting/shutdown doesn't work anymore, as in the freezing will happen again after X amount of time has passed regardless of what we do.

FFMultiverse

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
Since last post:
Left at different repair shop for 1 month during that time they said it could of been a grounding issue with chassis, causing shorts and that they were in the process of dismantling the build to thoroughly inspect board and all. Don't hear from them for a couple of days so I call and they tell me nothing was wrong with grounding after all and that they now think its an overheating issue because my GPU's fan weren't spinning during idle. I explained to them that they won't until the inside of the chassis reaches 45c by factory default they don't believe me so I tell them to download precision x to change the fan startup. i didn't hear from them over a week, call in.. hear the voice of a defeated man and he told me they gave up on my computer, that it HAS to be the motherboard and that in their store it would overheat and shut off within 15mins. So after that ordeal to be told what was first our assumption (that the board was faulty) we RMA it again only to be told after a week of no notice that everything was perfectly fine with it and that they were shipping it back. I ask them to do stress tests and play videos, games, and have curse voice chat up just for the hell of it(doubt they bothered). While they do that I buy a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851&cm_re=asus_motherboard-_-13-131-851-_-Product and it only lasted 2 hours before shutting itself off, will not power on until after 20mins of moving things inside around and it only stayed on for half a second before it started a fire that reached outside the chassis via the top (the MOSFET blew up, left of the CPU). So i send it back for a full refund and am now waiting for the gigabyte board to come back after being notified that after further testing that there was still no problems with the original board.

TRENDING THREADS