Question USB ports not providing enough power

ldaneels

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Ok, so I've recently built a PC & my USB ports don't seem to be able to power my scanner (Canon Lide 220) consistently. Basically, everytime I try to scan (via Scangear software), the scan hangs or disconnects halfway.
My hardware specs are the following (let me know if any other spec might be useful to know):
  • Intel i5 8400
  • Asus TUF Z390-Plus Gaming
  • 2*8 Go DDR4
  • PSU Seasonic Fanless 520W
  • Windows 10 build 1809
  • 1 NVME drive
  • 1 SATA HD
  • Palit RTX 2060 Pro Gaming OC
  • 3 Chassis Fans + 1 CPU Fan
  • 1 Logitech USB mouse + keyboard dongle
  • 1 Xbox controller
My PSU should be more than enough to provide for the entire system.
here are the steps that I have taken to try to solve the problem (nothing worked...):
  • Try the scanner on another computer (it works fine)
  • Rebooted the computer
  • Try different USB ports on my computer (both MB + chassis)
  • In the Device Manager:
- Verified the USB drivers (they are all up to date)
- uninstalled the USB components one by one in the device manager and have windows reinstall everything
- unchecked the power management to "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for each USB device
  • Changed the USB selective suspend to disabled
  • I used the Windows USB Troubleshooter to no avail...
  • Verified the MB connections (they're fine)
As a sidenote, I do not have any problem using the XBOX controller and the mouse+KB dongle. I did notice, though, that my keyboard (a Logitech K800) was not charging properly through USB (it starts charging but stops after a few seconds). This is what makes me think the USB is somehow not providing enough power.
I'm at wits end with this issue & I can't seem to find the source of the problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you using the latest Windows 10 drivers from Cannon?
If you use the drivers on the CD or any other driver it won't work on Windows 10.
Each USB port on the back of your case should be able to provide more power than needed by that scanner.

ldaneels

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Funny story, and a half-answer to your question (which was the solution, by the way), I had downloaded the full driver+software package from the support page because I thought to myself, "well, at least I'll get both up-to-date in one fell swoop!". Well, turns out the package is from 2015 (of course, that little detail is safely hidden from view...). But if one downloads the driver separately, the driver date is 12/2018. So, here's to the limitless power of manufacturers' well thought out and user-friendly support pages...
So, thank you for the help and helping me spot the issue. I do feel a bit silly, now, even though the fault should be squarely on Canon. Now, to get back to my scanning :)

I'm glad you were able to get the issue resolve.
Some manufactures website do detect the OS to provide the appropriate software and drivers. Most of them are more concerned about selling that providing support.

If that solved your issue, please mark it as Best Answer so others with the same issue could search and find the post.
Thanks.
(How to award Best Answer)