[SOLVED] USB ports not working after one-time flash-drive plug-in (need to restart PC to make it work again) ?

leeralph98

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
Recently found out about a problem with my USB ports as I rarely use flash drives. Every time I wanted to use a USB flash drive I have to restart my PC.
Otherwise, it won't show up in "this PC", and going to the device manager it shows the USB flash drive (with a /!\ sign) has an error code 38.
If I restart the PC, it immediately shows the flash drive and everything is working fine until I removed the flash drive and wanted to plug it in again.
How can I fix the problem?

Note1: Flash drives are fine. I tried multiple flash drives and also plugged them into my laptop which works as intended.
Note2: The problem only exists with flash drives as I have multiple USB devices (keyboard, mouse, wifi adapter, headset, speaker, printer) that are completely fine as I am dealing with this USB port/ flash drive problem.
I've tried: uninstalling all items under USB controller, didn't work.

screen caps

Thanks.

Update: just now just found out that my g403 is also affected by the USB port problem. Which prolly started a couple months back. Disconnecting and reconnecting after a split second (died tons in fps games due to this). I thought its a problem with the mouse itself but my g403 worked fine with other laptops/pc.

Last edited:

raykneale

Honorable
Oct 5, 2017
Try removing the flash drive using only the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the Task Bar.
It looks like a gas/petrol pump and only shows up when or if a drive is plugged in .Just right click on it and select the correct drive for removal ,then wait a second and you will get the OK to remove the drive. This can also save a lot of data loss or damage to the drive .
Regards
Stay Safe

leeralph98

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
Try removing the flash drive using only the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the Task Bar.
It looks like a gas/petrol pump and only shows up when or if a drive is plugged in .Just right click on it and select the correct drive for removal ,then wait a second and you will get the OK to remove the drive. This can also save a lot of data loss or damage to the drive .
Regards
Stay Safe
I'm not having problems with my flash drives its the USB ports. I don't know if its a hardware or driver problem and how to fix this.