[SOLVED] USB Ports not working after "USB better performance option" failed to work!

denniskuz

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014
I have a Kingston USB 3.0 16gb datatraveler and I went into the properties to select to choose "better performance". I got a blue "loading wheel" as a cursor, then the window stopped responding. I waited a LONG time for something to happen. Nothing did, I had to try force close it with task manager but that didn't work, it refuses to close. I took it out the port. Now none of the ports seem to work. The computer recognises that a USB gets connected but I can't see it in file explorer. In device manager it says it is working normally.

I tried the USB in a different computer, it worked totally fine, all the data is there etc. Foolishly I tried to do the same thing on that computer and now have the same issue on both so I'm stuck. I need to fix this issue but I'm not sure how. I've tried reinstalling some UBS drivers. Some refused to uninstall and some I was able to do so however that hasn't fixed any issue.

Win 10.

Another weird thing. The computer refuses to shut down or boot up when the USB is in a port. I have to remove it to allow the process to continue.

Solution
go to windows control panel find device manager, select the option to show hidden devices. then look in the list for the hidden device and right mouse click and uninstall the device driver for that device, reboot and see if your usb subsystem comes back.
I went into the properties to select to choose "better performance"
what do you mean?
properites of what, right-clicking on the drive itself through Windows' "This PC" Explorer folder?
I've tried reinstalling some UBS drivers
what USB drivers?
those provided by the motherboard manufacturer specifically for this motherboard, downloaded from it's official product support downloads section?

go to windows control panel find device manager, select the option to show hidden devices. then look in the list for the hidden device and right mouse click and uninstall the device driver for that device, reboot and see if your usb subsystem comes back.

Solution

denniskuz

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014
what do you mean?
properites of what, right-clicking on the drive itself through Windows' "This PC" Explorer folder?

what USB drivers?
those provided by the motherboard manufacturer specifically for this motherboard, downloaded from it's official product support downloads section?

So I followed this: Expand Disk Drives in Device Manager and find your USB device, right-click on your USB device or hard drive and choose "Properties". 3. Go to the Policies tab and select "Better performance", click "OK" - That is when it began to not respond and now I can't seem to use my USB drives.

I'm not sure what USB drivers comes under on the support page for my mobo. But I just tried reinstalling the win 10 ones. https://rog.asus.com/uk/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z270f-gaming-model/helpdesk_download

denniskuz

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014

I have been stuck Here for the past 5 minutes. I seems to refuse to uninstall.