[SOLVED] USB ports not working correctly suddenly

gaflem

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
So, the keyboard, mouse, and speakers work in the 3.0 and 2.0 ports of the motherboard. What is not working is the bluetooth adapter, and any flash drives I plug in. I first thought the bluetooth was just bad so I bought a new one. Then while trying to get the new one to work I needed to plug a flash drive in and found that those are not being populated either. When I plug both the bluetooth and the flashdrives in, Windows plays its connection sound like it sees them but I can not get them to work. The drives do not show up as being there and even the disconnect icon in the tray is not there for me to use before unplugging.

In the device manager, the only thing that pops up as having a driver issue is the bcm20702a0 from the bluetooth. I can not get that to install a driver. Windows finds one online but then fails to install it. I thought maybe the motherboard is going bad but then why is everything working except for the items that actually need to be recognized. The motherboard is an Asrock z87 extreme4.

I hope someone can tell me what I am missing here.

Solution
Is it specific ports or it doesn't matter?
your board has INtel & asmedia USB slots, so just curious if its the Asmedia ports.

On motherboard it has
3 x USB 2.0 headers (support 6 USB 2.0 ports)
1 x Vertical Type A USB 3.1 Gen1
2 x USB 3.1 Gen1 headers (support 4 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports) (ASMedia Hub)

on back it says
2 x USB 2.0 Ports
4 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Ports

it appears the USB 3.1 are Asmedia and Intel runs the others.

bcm20702a0 is a windows 7 driver, that is going to be 1 reason it won't install.

What make/model is the bluetooth? I see what I can find.

It could be the BIOS doesn't know what it is you are plugging into it. Depending when last time you updated it, it could be pretty old now -...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is it specific ports or it doesn't matter?
your board has INtel & asmedia USB slots, so just curious if its the Asmedia ports.

On motherboard it has
3 x USB 2.0 headers (support 6 USB 2.0 ports)
1 x Vertical Type A USB 3.1 Gen1
2 x USB 3.1 Gen1 headers (support 4 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports) (ASMedia Hub)

on back it says
2 x USB 2.0 Ports
4 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Ports

it appears the USB 3.1 are Asmedia and Intel runs the others.

bcm20702a0 is a windows 7 driver, that is going to be 1 reason it won't install.

What make/model is the bluetooth? I see what I can find.

It could be the BIOS doesn't know what it is you are plugging into it. Depending when last time you updated it, it could be pretty old now - https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87 Extreme4/#BIOS

Solution