[SOLVED] USB ports only at the back of computer randomly stops working

Trickstr125

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
The first time it happened I was in the middle of playing a game. To do a quick fix I moved my mouse and keyboard to the usb ports to the front of my computer which ended up working. After the game I restarted my computer, which ended up fixing everything and going back to normal. The 2nd time it happened was when I woke my computer up from sleep and everything plugged into the usb port at the back was not working, so I just took my mouse cord and plugged it into the front of the computer so I could restart the computer. After restarting, everything was working as normal. It seems like whenever it happens every usb port only in the back of my pc no longer works until I restart my pc then it fixes it. Does anyone know why or what could be causing this? Thank you very much for you time and help.

Specs:

Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit (Build 18363)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA-CF
Processor: Intel Core i9 9900k
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
Ram 16GB DDR4
Power Supply 700W
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG SE PH-ES614PTG_SWT

Solution
Did the issue still stand?
I would consider a better reliable PSU for that system. I would only recommend that PSU model for a mid to low end system.
A PSU that cannot handle a system power draw will cause all sorts of issues including the issue you are describing.
Just in cases drivers got corrupted.
Disconnect all USB devices.
Click Start, type Device Manager in the Search box and click Open on the right pane.
Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device Manager.
Right-click on each USB Hub and Controller, click Uninstall, and then click OK.
Reboot.
You might want to change What the power button do to Power Off, since the USB devices might not work until you reboot.
What's the brand and model of the PSU?

Trickstr125

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
I just tried my best to uninstall each USB Hub and Controller, was a bit hard because after uninstalling some, my keyboard and mouse stopped working, so I was unable to click uninstall on the remaining USB Hubs and Controllers. I was then forced to press the power button to restart my computer.
The current PSU I am using is a Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W.
Thank you

Last edited:
Did the issue still stand?
I would consider a better reliable PSU for that system. I would only recommend that PSU model for a mid to low end system.
A PSU that cannot handle a system power draw will cause all sorts of issues including the issue you are describing.

Solution