Question USB ports problem, power surge, phones not getting recognized ?

Ley

Honorable
May 1, 2016
Hi, these past few days I've had some issues making my iPhone (and sometimes my S20+) appear on my PC. iTunes or Windows Explorer don't always recognize it, and the USB mobile hotspot is straight up not working, or once every few hours it does but for a few seconds, then both the hotspot and the iPhone completely disconnect from the system. Some ports don't charge my phones either, and when I restart the computer they start working again, but a few other ports who used to work before now don't. I've tried with multiple cables (all MFi), even bought a new one, no luck. Reinstalled Windows twice, and even bought a new motherboard and updated the BIOS on both the old and new one.

The ports work for everything else, such as m&k and thumb drives.

A few days ago I got a power surge error on Windows, and I had to disconnect my mouse for the computer to start working again.
It looks like I'm having no issues on other computers, the iPhone shows up on iTunes on both a secondary desktop and a laptop and the mobile hotspot works fine, so I'm quite confident that my phone or the cables aren't the issue.

Here's my rig:
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • ASUS TUF B450 Plus Gaming (old mobo)
  • ROG Strix B550F Gaming (new mobo I bought thinking that the old one was faulty)
  • RTX 2060S
  • be quiet! Pure Power 11 80 Plus Gold 700W
If you need more info please let me know, I'll be happy to provide it.
Thank you!

Hi, these past few days I've had some issues making my iPhone (and sometimes my S20+) appear on my PC. iTunes or Windows Explorer don't always recognize it, and the USB mobile hotspot is straight up not working, or once every few hours it does but for a few seconds, then both the hotspot and the iPhone completely disconnect from the system. Some ports don't charge my phones either, and when I restart the computer they start working again, but a few other ports who used to work before now don't. I've tried with multiple cables (all MFi), even bought a new one, no luck. Reinstalled Windows twice, and even bought a new motherboard and updated the BIOS on both the old and new one.

The ports work for everything else, such as m&k and thumb drives.

A few days ago I got a power surge error on Windows, and I had to disconnect my mouse for the computer to start working again.
It looks like I'm having no issues on other computers, the iPhone shows up on iTunes on both a secondary desktop and a laptop and the mobile hotspot works fine, so I'm quite confident that my phone or the cables aren't the issue.

Here's my rig:
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • ASUS TUF B450 Plus Gaming (old mobo)
  • ROG Strix B550F Gaming (new mobo I bought thinking that the old one was faulty)
  • RTX 2060S
  • be quiet! Pure Power 11 80 Plus Gold 700W
If you need more info please let me know, I'll be happy to provide it.
Thank you!
maybe it's a grounding issue? seems not logical but i've experience it with the very same board, if put the screw in the corner edge right of the board it wouldn't even turn on, un screw it, let that 1 piece go, and it's booting..

might also a the board is failing.. tried to update the bios to the latest and the chipset driver to the latest yet from amd web?

Ley

Honorable
May 1, 2016
maybe it's a grounding issue? seems not logical but i've experience it with the very same board, if put the screw in the corner edge right of the board it wouldn't even turn on, un screw it, let that 1 piece go, and it's booting..

might also a the board is failing.. tried to update the bios to the latest and the chipset driver to the latest yet from amd web?

As I said in my original post, I bought a new motherboard to see if that was the problem and the BIOS was updated…