[SOLVED] USB ports randomly stop and start working; front & rear

Feb 27, 2022
My computer is a Dell XPS 8920 with Windows10. There are (4) USB 3.0 ports on the front, (2) USB 2.0 ports together on the back, (3) USB 3.0 ports together on the back, and finally (1) USB 3.1 port on the back. Two of the four front ports are the only ones that work pretty consistently. My keyboard usually is forced to use of of the eight temperamental ports and it will cut out completely randomly. Often just mid-sentence while typing. If I unplug the device and test it in all the other ports, I will usually find one that started working again. The problem started pretty soon after purchasing the computer, but has gotten worse over the last year. I have already:
-tested other devices in the same ports with the same results
-uninstalled and reinstalled all USB Host Controllers
-unchecked the power management option for all USB Root Hubs
-disabled USB Selective Suspend from power plan
-turned off Fast Startup

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Have you made sure that your chipset drivers are in order? Perhaps try and reinstall said driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. On a side note, what BIOS version are you on for your prebuilt? What OS are you working with?

Feb 27, 2022
Thank you guys so much for the responses!
@Lutfij , the OS is Win10 and the bios is Dell 1.0.23 (6/11/20). When I check Dell's bios page for updates, the only version it shows to download is 1.0.19 from 3/18/19.
@Unolocogringo , thank you for the link - the update scan says the system is up to date and there were no driver updates found.