Question USB Ports Shutting down periodically

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Hello all,

Been having an odd issue the past few weeks in which all my USB ports are shutting off for about 4 seconds and then turning back on. I will be downloading/transferring large files, and all of a sudden all the USB ports will turn off briefly and disconnect. Happens mostly when I am away from the computer and downloads/transfers are in process. Has also happened while gaming and transferring files. I currently have 2 external hard drives plugged into the USB ports. I am running two 5400 RPM 1TB hard drives, as well as two 1 TB NVM M.2 hard drives. My system is just under 2 years old. Power supply is Corsair RM750 Gold. I'm almost wondering if I have a power supply issue or something. Or is it software related? I have already gone through the device manager and unselected anything to do with power saving on my USB ports and networking adapters to no avail. How do I pin this down?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
TBH, I think the first thing I would try in relation to your spec linked below the post would be a clean install of OS and drivers to see if the issue persists. I would assume you are talking about the rear port USB as well as front panel.

The other thing to consider would be a ground or something in the USB cables/port/etc. I ran across something like that recently with a PC I was troubleshooting, and I could feel one of the ports was very hot on the connector.

Have you attempted to test this issue with one storage drive connected at a time to see if the issue follows when a specific one is connected?

Reactions: cpoullas

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
TBH, I think the first thing I would try in relation to your spec linked below the post would be a clean install of OS and drivers to see if the issue persists. I would assume you are talking about the rear port USB as well as front panel.

The other thing to consider would be a ground or something in the USB cables/port/etc. I ran across something like that recently with a PC I was troubleshooting, and I could feel one of the ports was very hot on the connector.

Have you attempted to test this issue with one storage drive connected at a time to see if the issue follows when a specific one is connected?
That is exactly what I was thinking to try first; fresh OS install and drivers. I'll try this and check back with you guys.

I have not noticed any of the USB ports being hot.

I have not tested with one storage drive attached at a time, but I will try it. There is also something very funky going on with my spare SSD... It is write protected for some reason and I have tried all sorts of things to clear the write protection and I am unable to (diskpart, disk management tool, etc...)