[SOLVED] USB ports stop working after windows boot

Dec 17, 2019
I recently decided to upgrade my PC, replacing the motherboard, CPU, RAM and GPU, meaning I currently have this setup:

New components:

i5 9400F
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Super (Palit Jetstream)
Asus TUF B360 PLUS
2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2333Hz RAM

Retained components:

Corsair CX600 PSU
Kingston SV300S37A 120GB SSD (with Windows 7 installation)
Seagate3500413AS 500GB SATA

After replacing the old components with those listed above, I had to mess around with the BIOS in order to get the pc to boot with the Kingston SSD as priority (as it had the Windows 7 installation). I found all signs of power on the keyboard and mouse (lights and such) turned off midway through the starting windows screen, and they simply did not function on the log on screen. Note that the USB ports worked fine in the BIOS as I was able to use the mouse and keyboard freely.

After doing some research I tried several things. Firstly, I tried disabling the XHCI hand-off feature in the BIOS, which meant that the power to the keyboard and mouse seemingly stayed on throughout start up as the lights did not turn off, however, they still ceased to function. Secondly, I tried updating the BIOS through USB in hopes that would change something, but to no avail. i have also tried every USB port on my PC but this did not seem to make a difference.

I'm at a loss so any help is greatly appreciated c:

Solution
windows 7 doesnt not have usb drivers for you mainboard, u will need to use supported operating system (windows 10)
or use usb drivers provided by mainboard manufacturer (if available)