[SOLVED] USB ports stop working and then computer freezes on new build

Aug 21, 2019
Hello, I just built a new PC Sunday and am having a lot of issues diagnosing the problem with my computer. My computer runs just fine while in the BIOS, but once I boot into Windows 10 my computer will keyboard and mouse stop working and then the computer freezes and becomes unresponsive at any time. It might take 10 minutes for this to happen or just a minute or two after booting into Windows 10. It normally reboots on its own, but I disabled that option in the system settings. None of the temperatures, voltage, or usage look off when checking using 3rd party applications. I have also tried plugging my keyboard in mouse in both the integrated motherboard slots as well as my case slots and I still see the same issue.
In Event Viewer there is nothing helpful when the crash occurs. All I can see are hundreds of the same warning spammed and then the next message is just "The previous system shutdown at 8:53:36 PM on ‎8/‎20/‎2019 was unexpected."
The warning I keep receiving is this:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.
Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
Primary Bus: Device:Function: 0x0:0x3:0x1
Secondary Bus: Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name: PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_1483&SUBSYS_14531022&REV_00
Secondary Device Name:
All of this came after a fresh install of Windows 10. I installed the latest drivers from MSI's website for my motherboard and I already flashed the BIOS to the latest version.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: 2x Inland Premium 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GTX 670 (waiting on my GPU to ship)
Power Supply: EVGA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified

I'm leaning towards it being an issue with the motherboard, but need to check a few things today after work. I am lost on how to narrow my issue down. Could anyone offer some advice? Thank you in advance!

Solution
Finally figured out what was wrong (fingers crossed, but it's looking promising)! I swapped out my GPU and everything was running smooth. I should mention that my GPU was connected to my motherboard using a Cooler Master vertical GPU mount. When I swapped out my GPU I did not use this mount and everything was running fine. I put it back on this mount and viola... crashes again the exact same ones I was seeing before. I will be getting a replacement from Amazon and hope this does not continue to happen.

Thank you @Mandark and @Ketchup79 for offering suggestions!
Aug 21, 2019
For an older card like that, set PCIE in the BIOS to gen 3 instead of gen 4 and see if that fixes your issue.
Thank you for the response! I'll give that a try once I'm out of work.
I still need to run a memory test, swap out the PSU for a known working PSU, and do another clean install of Windows with updating the drivers again. I'll update this post with my findings.

Aug 21, 2019
I changed the PCIE in the BIOS from Auto to Gen 3 and updated the drivers for my GPU, but that did not resolve the issue. I also ran Memtest86 and there were no failures. I noticed though my computer runs fine while in safe mode, but freezes while running normally. Today I'll have to try a clean boot to see if any services are causing the issue and try swapping out the GPU with another and also try swapping out the PSU.

So, safe mode means that it's ruling out the main functionality of your devices (such as video card, network card, etc). This could mean that there is a bad driver, or one of your devices is bad, or even that the power supply could be having issues (since the device can't use it's full power). My guess right now is the video card or the power supply. Unfortunately, since your CPU doesn't have integrated video, there is no really good way to test that without getting additional parts in the mix. How long 'till your new video card arrives?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

bad driver(s) causing this for sure.... or a psu issue maybe

best way to fix this is a probably trying a windows reset or repair install or a feature update install. after that a Clean install may be necessary if all that previous stuff didn't work.

I like Clean install myself because it takes 8 minutes to set up windows clean and then all my data is already in the cloud. i have next to zero config to do after that, just signing into OneDrive.

Aug 21, 2019
So, safe mode means that it's ruling out the main functionality of main of your devices (such as video card, network card, etc). This could mean that there is a bad driver, or one of your devices is bad, or even that the power supply could be having issues (since the device can't use it's full power). My guess right now is the video card or the power supply. Unfortunately, since your CPU doesn't have integrated video, there is no really good way to test that without getting additional parts in the mix. How long 'till your new video card arrives?
I think I'll get getting my GPU next weekend (PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT). I do have a GTX 770 in my other computer I'll give a try.

bad driver(s) causing this for sure.... or a psu issue maybe

best way to fix this is a probably trying a windows reset or repair install or a feature update install. after that a Clean install may be necessary if all that previous stuff didn't work.

I like Clean install myself because it takes 8 minutes to set up windows clean and then all my data is already in the cloud. i have next to zero config to do after that, just signing into OneDrive.
I've tried this method a few times already and no luck unfortunately. I made sure to use diskpart to clean my disks so it was truly a clean install as well. I'm considering installing Linux to see if the issue persists there too.

Aug 21, 2019
Finally figured out what was wrong (fingers crossed, but it's looking promising)! I swapped out my GPU and everything was running smooth. I should mention that my GPU was connected to my motherboard using a Cooler Master vertical GPU mount. When I swapped out my GPU I did not use this mount and everything was running fine. I put it back on this mount and viola... crashes again the exact same ones I was seeing before. I will be getting a replacement from Amazon and hope this does not continue to happen.

Thank you @Mandark and @Ketchup79 for offering suggestions!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS