Question USB ports turn off during any boot of any operating system

Dec 30, 2018
I've tried installing windows 10 through usb and windows 7 through cd, as well as using linux off a live usb, any in all the cases, my motherboard usb ports (2.0 and 3.0/3.1) turn off. They work just fine in the BIOS, and I've tried several configurations of usb settings that my mobo manufacturer has suggested, as well as several different usb sticks and methods of creating boot media (windows media creation tool and rufus) and none have made a difference. Some have told me it's a driver issue, but why would my motherboard not have the correct drivers for windows 10 when it's a recent model and is built to run windows 10? Has anyone else seen this sort of issue? Could it be just a bad motherboard, a bad psu, a bad cpu, or something else entirely? Is it possible that there could a compatibility issue that is impossible to diagnose or predict? I've called asus and microsoft, and both have elevated my case and still failed to give me an answer to my problem. I'm at a loss, and sadly it's too late for me to return any parts, so any solution that doesn't involve buying a whole new computer would be amazing.

Here's my components:
mobo: ASUS rog strix b450-f gaming
cpu: ryzen 5 2600X
gpu: msi rx 570 armor oc 8gb
ram: 2 8gb sticks of corsair vengeance lpx 3000 MHz
storage: samsung 970 evo nvme ssd
psu: evga 500 br

I couldn't make W7 run on second gen Ryzen for love or money. I'm afraid you are "sentenced" to W10. One of the problems is drivers for USB, you will have to inject them in W7 setup/ files/disk/ISO. or try Ps/2 KB.There's also this for tha purpose:
Utilities
Version 1.03.21 2018/04/2541.59 MBytes
ASUS EZ Installer
Use this tool V1.03.21 to create a Windows 7 installation file with USB 3.0 drivers preloaded.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

TRENDING THREADS